CHAPTER | 01 | THE AUDACITY

Cape Town, South Africa 1989

The clouds rummaged intensely as thunder rumbled.

It rained like cats and dogs as the streets were soaked heavily. But, inside the Ellerman hotel, there in the lobby of the ostentatious hotel, two clerks were at the front desk.

The exquisite lobby was completely deserted, not much has been going on, the clerks knew that all the guest were rested in their various suites.

So in middle of the night, outside the entrance of Ellerman-House Hotel and Suites. The revolving doors start to swing as three children rushed into the hotel, running after each other.

After trudging through the rain-soaked streets, Ayomide Ajírọtútù rushed into the hotel lobby drenched, and slumped into the nearest seat, drained from the six-hours, thirty minutes flight from Nigeria to South Africa.

His elder sister Toke and his cousin Tade quickly ran to his side as they both shivered stoically next to him. Behind them, two fair nigerian women rushed in, dripping wet dragging their soaked luggage behind them.

The two clerks looked at each other surprised, they raising a brow silently side eyeing the drenched people who just arrived into the hotel.

Overlooking the lobby, the two little Nigerian children were staining the damask settee with their sodden coats. And it only got worse from there.

Ayomide slides his feets around the polished floor, leaving a muddy circle in his wake, as Tade joins him. Both of them continue sliding wildly across the lobby, their sneakers leaving muddy tracks on the black-and-white checker board marble tiles, while Ayomide's thirteen year old sister Toke, sat down gracefully at a corner watching them.

The clerks looked horrified and disgusted.

The nigerian women stood nearby, frantically blotting themselves dry with tissues. Shola makes her way to the front desk, while complaining to Tomiwa her sister in-law about having to walk in the bad weather, if only they had left Nigeria early.

"Tomiwa, Iwo lo fa gbogbo wahala yi o. If you had listen to me and made us take an early flight, we wouldn't be soaked like this. Wo gbogbo ara mi bo she ri now." Shola complained bitterly as she grabs Toke, while Tomiwa, grabs Ayomide and Tade by the hand and follows Shola to the front desk.

A frustration groan escape Shola's lips, droplets of water fell from her wet hair profusely. With a lilt unique Nigerian accent, Shola got to the desk and assumed she's addressing the receptionist.

"May I help you? This is Ellerman House, a private hotel." Clerk one speaks rudely, he didn't spare a single glance thrown at Shola. Vomiting his words, almost too disregarding for Shola's liking.

Shola raised a brow and looks back at Tomiwa who opens her mouth with shock. "Ki lon she ele, abi ko mo pe, o ma ko ko ki wa, ko to bere nnkan ta fe." Tomiwa hissed.

"Excuse me Mr man, don't you greet your guests first, before asking them what they want." Shola said eyeing the clerks.

The two clerks looks at each other surprised, and then smiles. "Forgive my manners Madame. Good evening and welcome to Ellerman House, how can I help you?" Clerk one said slowly, over-enunciating every word.

Shola smiled back. "Much better, I see you have some senses left in you. Well, I am Mrs Shola Ajírọtútù . We have a reservation. The Kings suite." Shola looks at his name tag. "We spoke on the phone when I confirmed yesterday." She added finally.