(Aurelius; III) Now's the time

Aurelius (III)

Et Stellas.

Arthur and Aurelius are loved by literally everybody in and around the Empire, and especially Aurelius. The great leader who saved everybody from the 'Big war'

But that doesn't mean it does not exist jealousy and ambition.

Walking outside the big palace is Decimus, the guard wolf. Wearing the heavy light silver metal warrior armor, with the special big logo of Et Stellas stamped on his chest, which glows and always has glowed very brightly if it meets the sunlight, a sword on his scabbard and a long shield hung on his back.

He's walking forward, a paw raised in the air to cover the sunlight that still shining with all its intensity. He's not sweating, but he's with the feeling of. He really doesn't like that place.

People from the city glances at him, before continuing to make their things. Even some canines wave a paw to greet him or drop their looks the ground in a signal of respect, but Decimus doesn't care. 

He has important things to care about than respect.

He continues his odyssey, crossing the great city and its alleys, until reaching the entrances of the Empire.

There are always guards, Coyotes, Foxes, Dogs, even some 'hybrids', around the big Empire gates. Some are quietly chatting, making a few stops to appreciate the sing of the birds. Others are joking, softly punching themselves before breaking in laughter. While others are playing their favorite game, Morra. A paws game, which consist to reveal your paw extending any number of fingers, at the same time one player says a number. The player who guesses wins a point.

Like Decimus used to say, when he used to guard the gates of the Empire long years ago before Aurelius raised his 'rank' to guard the palace, That's a Warrior's life.

But, setting aside the gamers and jokers, there's a group of guards talking, forming a group circle, close to the biggest exit of the Empire. 

"Have you tried the new apples? Merchants by the way" Asks the Coyote, while the rest of the group shakes their heads into a No. "Oh! You all have to, they are soo good!" Adds the Coyote with a melodious tone, accompanied by an approval gesture.

The ¨half-fox/half-coyote¨ giggles, moving his shoulders in circles before letting a loud yawn "Why does the-?"

He tries to continue but another guard quickly shushes him, placing a finger on his own lips, noticing Decimus walking directly into them. The Coyote returns the shush, then everybody starts shushing themselves, hitting each other with their elbows in the company of a few giggles like little pups.

The guard wolf throws his glance first at the green and peaceful camp, before looking at the group. "Where's Perseus" He spills, remembering them who leads there, making an authority voice. 

The ¨Fox-Coyote¨ points with a thumb to the exit of the Empire, directly to the peaceful grassland. "He left many minutes ago insisting he'll see the terrain. He already should be right back".

The Empire gates are fully opened because, Who would like to mess with the Biggest Empire of around? The only one who can actually defeat Et stellas is itself.

Decimus starts walking forward. Giving long and heavy steps to pass through the tall and cheerful green grass that's dancing at the rhythm of the breeze, smelling the scent of the nature that would normally make him sneeze. He looks to one side, then to the other. "Where's that dog. . ." He growls, before start heading to the dark woods.

The woods, a combination of thousands of pines, oaks and red maples trees that protects the ground from a single hit of the sunlight, creating a dark and scary shadow. People of Et Stellas created lots of stories about those woods. Ghosts and mysterious beings that take everybody who passes nearby to never be seen again. Others say there's the biggest predator ever existed, one big enough to decorate an innocent pup in one gulp but luckily it is afraid of the sunlight.

However, Arthur and Aurelius well know the real story of 'The scary Woods'. There's nothing in those woods more than The Wilds', a big group of lions and traitors of different Empires that likes the woods environment.

No need to pay nothing, hunt for food, live in the shadows, sleeping wherever you want with whoever you want. That would be a Wild-life.

But Decimus is, still, really afraid of that place, he wants to not believe the stories that people tell, scarier enough to make a grow-up wolf shiver. But he has important things to care about than fright.

He continues walking straight to the deep shadow, squeezing the handle of his sword with his right paw. If something jumps out from nowhere, he'll take his sword out and,

"Decimus!" A voice, that bounces from ear to ear of the now scared wolf, making his spine give a low and long shiver. The bushes start moving desperately, birds that were resting on the trees escaped winging away. 

Decimus doesn't doubt to take out his sword.

"Show yourself!" He spits, pointing at the bushes that suddenly stopped moving. 

There's no response for a few long seconds. Suddenly, two paws slowly come out from it, followed by the figure of a dog. "Hey, It's me" Perseus says in a nervous tone, slowly dropping his hands back down with a huff.

Perseus always had the shape of a workman, sweat on his forehead, sometimes with dirt or dust around his face and cuts on his bad bandaged paws. He has the, but incomplete, Et stellas armor, with important parts missing, like the dangly straps and the Lorica Segmentata(8). He still has his belt with his scabbard hanging from it but the sword is missing.

Decimus sighs, storing back his sword knowing he's not in danger but still with a deadly fear. "Arthur and Son went on a trip. You already should be right back! What were you doing in there?"

Perseus limits his words to just a nonsense nodding and an "It is time."

📖📖📖📖📖

(8) Lorica Segmentata: Armor, most part of the chest, shoulders and back, used by soldiers of the Roman Empire.