𝑻𝑾𝑶 - 𝑨 𝑮𝑹𝑨𝑫𝒀 𝑾𝑯𝑰𝑻𝑬

𝑾𝑯𝑬𝑵 𝑳𝑰𝑳𝒀 𝑨𝑳𝑰𝑪𝑰𝑨 𝑴𝑨𝒀𝑩𝑨𝑵𝑲 was seven years old, she got her first surfboard. Technically it wasn't hers, she'd found it in Big John's basement and he'd told her she could use it if she wanted to. The board was old and a little to heavy for seven year old Lily to carry on her own, but with her brother's help, it was possible. She remembered spending hours at the beach, just studying the older surfers, noticing every move they did, and copying it. The way they paddled, the way they jumped up and the way they stood to spread their bodyweight the right way. That's how she learned to surf. When Lily was a decent surfer, she had to teach JJ and John B, since they wasn't as clever as she was. As Lily grew older, she realized how surfing made her feel. Like she could forgot everything. The second her board made contact with the water, her worries for what would happen when she came home just disappeared. Surfing quickly became her sort of therapy, and that's probably why she loved it.

"It's a double overhead out there bro." John B told the two, already soaked teens. Lily watched the wild waves crash into the sand as a smirk appeared on her lips. Others may would have called her reckless, impulsive and stupid. Why would anyone surf a hurricane? But in Lily's mind, life is all about taking risks. Nobody makes it out alive anyways, so why not spend the short amount of time she has here on earth, with doing the things that she truly loves?

"Double overhead?" Pope questioned a little anxious as he read the warning about how the beach was closed- sign in front of them.

"Those aren't surfable waves, bro." He stated, glancing over at Lily, hoping for her to back out.

"Says who?" John B chuckled as he started running down to the shore. Lily turned around and laughed at her friend's worried facial expressions.

"Life is too short to be a pussy, pope!"

After a couple minutes, Pope had sat down a few feet's from the stop sign, never leaving his two friends out of sight. Even though he really, really wanted to get home and put on warm, dry clothes, he couldn't dare to leave his friends. The boy sighed as he remembered how worried his parents must be by now.

Meanwhile, John Booker Routledge and Lily Maybank had had enough of wipeouts and was now exhausted.

"Hey, Lily, let's go home!" The brown haired boy yelled, trying to be heard over the storm. He saw Lily, failing to catch a last wave before paddling towards him.

"Coming!"

Suddenly, the petite blonde saw something behind JB. A boat. It wasn't big, quite small actually. It was that kinda boat that she would see Sarah Cameron laying on the front in a bikini and a glass of champagne with one of her boyfriends.

"Is that a boat?" John B said confused as he had realized what Lily were looking at.

"Who the fuck goes out during a hurricane?" Lily said, more of a statement than a question as they watched the boat disappear behind another enormous wave.

"We do?"

———————————————————————

When Lily woke up the next morning, the rain had come to a stop. Due to the constant yelling outside the room, she couldn't go to sleep again as she wanted to. When Lily had listened to someone calling out her name around five to ten times, she gave up on the silent treatment and marched out of her room, boiling with anger. She passed the mirror in the hallway, letting out a small chuckle at her appearance. The saltwater had made her hair look like she hadn't brushed it in years. Her body was clothed in an old, way to big, tee that belonged to some of the boys, probably John B. It had several holes and the print was almost completely washed away.