CHAPTER | 02 | SWEET REVENGE

While Shola continues to persuade the manger, Tomiwa went back to meet her son Tade, who stood guarding the luggage. "Mummy can we go up now? My body is wet and i'm starving and I want to order from room service." he grumbled.

Tomiwa shook her head in disapproval, some Nigerian children were notoriously pampered, but this son of hers was incorrigible spoilt by his father.

Good thing after this trip was over, she and her husband have decided that they were going to put him in a boarding school, where he would have some sense knocked into him: cold morning showers and stale food like rice and beans with stew, was what he needed.

Atleast, Tade will finally be away from the family's influence.

"Tade be patient ok, we'll soon get a suite. Just go and stay with Ayomide and Toke while I and Aunty Shola decide what to do ok... Lo ba awon aburo re shere ." Tomiwa instructed as Tade quickly walked over to his younger cousins, resuming the game they had begun on the plane.

Tomiwa too, walked back to desk, seeing Shola arguing with the clerks.

"So any changes?" She asked. Shola shaked her head making no attempt to hide her fury.

"Ra ra o. Awon idiot yi so pe, we don't have any reservation." Shola said completely confused.

"What? Why? Ki lode gan, why are they treating us like this?" Tomiwa asked. "I think it has something to do with us being Nigerian," Shola said, as if she didn't quite believe her own words.

"Nigerian? O ga o." Tomiwa exclaimed.

"Yes o, Nigerian. Even so, isn't this supposed to be one of South Africa's top hotels? How can they get away with that sort of behavior?" Shola asked.

"I don't understand too o!" Tomiwa nodded in agreement. "I never been treated like this in all my years coming here." Shola said, even though privately she felt that Tomiwa was partly to blame for this fiasco.

If Tomiwa wasn't so annoying and had booked the flights early, they would have arrived looking far less disheveled. Including with the fact that her sisters-in-law always had to dress down whenever she traveled with them.

Nonetheless, Shola turns to Mr Zulu. "Ok, since you're saying we have no reservations, please, may I use your phone to call my husband? It's the least you can do. Jor nitori olorun." Shola levels a glare at Zulu, who looks at her with a tight smile.

Even if he didn't understand the last sentence, he knew she wanted to make a phone call, but he wouldn't allow her to use their phone.

"Are you deaf, can we just use your telephone?" Tomiwa pleaded, trying to speak humbly.

"I'm sorry, I can't let you use our phone and I do think your children have done quite enough damage for one night, don't you think?" Mr Zulu seethed.

**********

Outside the hotel, It was still drizzling, rain pours heavily on the children, the group huddled under a green-and-white-striped awning on street while Shade stood inside a phone booth frantically calling other hotels.

'THE ELLERMAN HOTEL' sign casts a glow over them. Indistinctly, they watch Shola angrily speaking on the phone, but don't know what she's saying, but they think Shola is calling other hotels, but she isn't doing that, but rather, she's calling her husband. Oluwafemi Ajírọtútù.

"Aunt Tomiwa, what are we going do if we can't find a place to stay tonight? Maybe we can sleep in Cape Town Park, in their amazing upside-down tree, and its branches hang down so low that it's almost like a cave. We can all sleep underneath and be protected....."