Is Niqab ( Face Veil) Mandatory? Part III

EVIDENCE THAT COVERING THE FACE IS NOT AN OBLIGATION.

There are several hadith which prove that the face veil for women is not wajib (obligatory).

Narrated by al-Waleed from Sa’eed Ibn Basheer from Qataadah from Khalid Ibn Durayk from ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her), that Asma’ bint Abi Bakr entered upon the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) wearing a thin dress. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) turned away from her and said, “O Asma’, when a woman reaches the age of puberty, nothing should be seen of her except this and this” – and he pointed to his face and hands. (Abu Dawud-authenticated by Albani using collaborating reports)

This authentic hadith is clear evidence that the face veil is not wajib.

Some scholars try to give the impression of the hadith that it was narrated before the revealing of the Quran verse 33:53. This argument has no basis because there is no evidence to prove this. Surah 33: verse 53 has nothing to do as explained above with the covering of the face being wajib. There is no evidence whatsoever to prove that this hadith itself was narrated before the revelation of verse no: 53 of Surah 33.

Once while the Prophet (pbuh) was admonishing and preaching to a group of women after having admonished the men on the Id day, “...a woman having a dark spot on her cheek stood up...” seeking clarification on the subject the Prophet was discussing. (Sahih Muslim)

From the above hadith it is evident that the woman was not covering her face and if it was an obligation, the prophet (sal) would have told her to cover her face.

In a long hadith Narrated by Sahl b. Sa'd as-Saa'idee (rali): A women came to the Prophet (salallaahu 'alaihi wassallam) and said:
“O Allaah’s Messenger, I have come to offer myself in marriage to you.” So Allaah’s Messenger (salallaahu 'alaihi wassallam) looked her up and down carefully. After that he lowered his head. When the woman saw that he he had not decided anything regarding her, she sat down. Then a man from his Companions stood and said: “O Messenger of Allaah, if you have no need for her marry her to me.”(Bukhari,Muslim)

This hadith clearly proves that a lady had come to the gathering un covered. If it was wajib, The prophet(sal) would have commanded her to cover her face.

During the day of Nahr (10th Dhul-Hijjah), when Al-Fadl bin ‘Abbas was riding behind the Prophet on his she -camel, “...a beautiful woman from the tribe of Khath’am came, asking the verdict of Allah’s Messenger. Al-Fadl started looking at her as her beauty attracted him. The Prophet looked behind while Al-Fadl was looking at her; so the Prophet held out his hand backwards and caught the chin of Al-Fadl and turned his face (to the other side) in order that he should not gaze at her...” (Sahih Bukhari)

The above hadith clearly shows that when Fadl bin abbas (rali) started looking at a beautiful girl who came to ask for a verdict from the prophet (sal), the prophet (sal) did not tell the girl to cover her face. Instead, he turned away fadl's face. If it was an obligation for women to cover their faces, the prophet (sal) would have ordered this young woman to cover her face.

Allah (swt) says:

And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof... ( 24:31)

When Ibn Abbas (RA), the leading commentator of the Qur’an was asked about the verse mentioned above as to what it meant, he replied, “it refers to the face and hands”. 
(Collected by Ibn Abee Shay bah in al-Musannaf, Vol. 3, p. 540 & 541, hadith no. 16997 & 17012 and al-Bayhaqi in Sunan al- Kubraa. Al-Albaanee ruled in Jilbaab al-Mar’ah al-Muslimah, pp 59-60, that the isnaad of this statement is sahih.)

There are many other hadith to prove that covering the face is not wajib. Covering the face is only mustahab (allowed) in Islam. Stating that covering the face is wajib is a bidah and a form of extremism in Islam. Some try to even go to emotional extents by using logic to say that the face is the most beautiful thing in a woman. My answer to them is, it is Allah (swt) who gave beauty to women and it is he who says that it is not wajib for her to cover her face. The face, hands and legs need not be covered and Muslims should not go to extremes in following Islam.