Is Marriage Fardh, Wajib, Or Sunnah? Part I

The issue of marriage is arguably one of the most talked about topics among muslims especially when they are young. Are you married? When are you getting married? why arent you marrying? the questions poked by those who are married towards the unmarried are many. Now the question is , Is marriage an obligation  or is it a sunnah?.The answer to this is that marriage is a recommended sunnah and is not an obligation because there is no evidence where the prophet (Sal) said that marriage is wajib. In all the hadiths what the prophet (Sal) said was that marriage is a sunnah.

Abdullah bin Mas’ood(rali), who said: “We were with some youth not finding anything, so the Messenger of Allah,(sal) said: ‘O assembly of youth. Whoever from you is able to get married, then let him do so, for it lowers the gaze and protects the privates. And whoever is unable, then it is (on him) to fast, for it is a protection”   

 (Bukhari and Muslim and others)

From the above hadith it is very clear that the prophet (Sal) did not regard marrigae as an obligation. He regarded it as a sunnah because if it was made an obligation then it would have been a hardship upon the ummah. If marriage was an obligation then the prophet (Sal) would have clearly mentioned it as an obligation or a companion would have narrated of the prophet (Sal) stating that it's an obligation. One such example is in the below hadith.

Narrated by Aisha (Rali), the prophet (Sal) said:

"When anyone sits amidst four parts (of the woman) and the circumcised parts touch each other a bath becomes obligatory.  

(Bukhari and Muslim)

In the above hadith, in the arabic text the word "Wajib" (وَجَبَ)  is used meaning "obligation".

The next evidence is as follows 

Narrated Abu Huraira:
I said, "O Allah's Messenger (Sal)! I am a young man and I am afraid that I may commit illegal sexual intercourse and I cannot afford to marry." He kept silent, and then repeated my question once again, but he kept silent. I said the same (for the third time) and he remained silent. Then repeated my question (for the fourth time), and only then the Prophet said, "O Abu Huraira! The pen has dried after writing what you are going to confront. So (it does not matter whether you) get yourself castrated or not."
(Sahih Al Bukhari)

If we look carefully at the above hadith, Abu Hurairah (Rali) told the prophet (Sal) that he cannot marry because he does not have the means to get married. The prophet(Sal) never forced him or tell him he must get married and if marriage was an obligation the prophet (Sal) would have told him to anyway get married. Given the scenario of Abu Hurairah (Rali) fearing that he could commit zina the prophet (Sal) never commanded him to marry.

Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Umar (Rali):
When Hafsa, 'Umar's daughter became a widow because of the death of her (husband) Ibn Hudhafa As-Sahmi who was one of the companion of the Prophet (Sal) and the one of the Badr warriors and died at Medina, 'Umar said, "I met 'Uthman bin 'Affan and gave him an offer, saying, 'If you wish, I will marry Hafsa to you.' He said. 'I will think it over' I waited for a few days, then he met me and said, 'I have made up my mind not to marry at present' "'Umar added, "Then I met Abu Bakr and said to him, 'If you wish, I will marry Hafsa to you.' 
(Sahih Al Bukhari)

From the above hadith its understood that when Uthman (Rali) refused Umar (Rali)'s offer to marry his daughter stating that that he does not want to marry at the momment Umar (Rali) did not tell him to get married. If it was an obligation then Umar (Rali) would have told him to marry.