eighteen

✴️

|Sunday, October 2nd, 2010|
|Chanhassen, Minnesota|
|Paisley Park|
|2:30 pm|

Prince

Today was Lenard's 32nd birthday, and I decided to throw him a nice birthday party at the house with the family and close friends. Since Lenard had been very busy with his career for the past couple of years and still now, it was rare that I ever got to see him. Of course he visited every now and then, along with phone calls, but I missed my nephew dearly. So, luckily, his birthday was the perfect time to spend more time with him and get everyone together for  nice quality time. Especially with Michael's passing being more recent as of late, he had been more present, because it was still a hard time for me, him, the twins, and the rest of the family. But, I prayed that this day would bring some kind of releif, and distraction from the pain.

Currently, everyone was at the house. Chatting, reminiscing on the good times and enjoying each other's company while the kids were outside having a ball at the playground I had on one of the gardens. Me, on the other hand was in the kitchen with Michael's mother Katherine, helping her cut up some vegetables to put in the big bowl of salad. As I was cutting up a red pepper, I glanced over at her. After she slid the now cutte up lettuce into the bowl, she glanced over at me as well. We held a peaceful, heartwarming eye contact before I spoke up.

"I'm so grateful to have you and the family here, Mom." I expressed, "I hope it wasn't too much trouble for you all to come fly out to Minnesota."

"We're family, baby." She raises her eyebrow at me, making sure I understood her point, "Anything you need, we'll always be here for you and the kids. Well, even though they're not kids anymore."

I chuckled, "Tell me about it." She was right, and to this day it was hard to believe it; As a parent, even though it's amazing to see your kids grow into something beautiful, it's sad to know that they'll never be little again, because deep down you want them to be young forever. But, they were grown up. Lenard wasn't the same knuckleheaded boy that would blast the west coast classics throughout my house. He was now thirty-two years old, with a wife, six year old daughter and another one on the way. My baby girls, weren't babies anymore. Marhi was also married, with a son and Paisley had just gotten married not too long ago. Montece, and god rest my sweet boy's soul; I know he was looking down on us proudly, and having a ball with Michael up there in heaven since they always had a close relationship since day one. However, it killed me inside that they were no longer here with us.

That's why I was so thankful that the relationship I had with Michael's family didn't change after he passed. Usually, I've heard stories where inlaws cut off all ties with their son or daughters husband-wife's after they passed for certain reasonings that I never understood. So the fact that they were still here for us, was beyond fulfilling.