ch. 28 / sweet creature

I could feel the sweat starting to pool in Harry's hand as we approached my front porch.

"You alright?" I laughed a little wiping my hand in my shirt and then intertwining it with his again.

"Just a little nervous," his voice cracked and I had to hide my outburst of laughter to keep from embarrassing him. "Don't make it worse," Harry said through gritted teeth.

"Sorry sorry," I cleared my throat and reached my hand up to knock on the door.

"Wait!" Harry grabbed my fist and I faced him. His eyes wide until they came in contact with mine, they softened. His lips curled and he leaned in to give me a kiss. Our lips melted together momentarily and I wrapped my hands softly around his neck before I snapped out of it, humming and pushing him away.

"You want my dad to come out here with his shotgun?" I jokingly asked and Harry's eyes widened again. I cracked a smile.

"Don't-don't even joke about that Madi," he said in a scared tone before I laughed it off, knocking on the door.

Shortly thereafter my mom appeared. "Madi!!" She flung her arms around me and I hugged her tight, her height advantage making her bear hug even bigger. She released the hug and then turned to Harry. "Mr. Rock Star, get in here!" She motioned him in for a hug with her arms while she was blushing. I stood behind Harry and my mom mouthed the words "Oh my gosh!" And gave me a thumbs up, insinuating that she approves. After she pulled away she she said," well you just keep getting cuter and cuter," Harry blushed. My mom turned back inside and motioned for us to follow her. Harry and I quickly looked at each other, preparing for an eventful 3 days ahead of us.

"Oh! Ms. Pelton I got you these," he handed her the flowers.

"Oh goodness me, Harry sweetheart you didn't have to do that-"

"Yes he did." My dad appeared from the kitchen and made his way into the foyer. "The boy should always get the girl's mom flowers."

"Well I'll just go put these in some water," my mom gushed before disappearing.

"And the boy should also give the lady's dad a nice handshake," my dad approached Harry with a straight face and held his hand out. Harry, obviously about to shit his pants, shook his hand. My dad cracked his hand though causing Harry to crumble and double over. I quickly came to Harry's comfort.

"Daddy!" I yelled and took Harry's hand in my hand. When I looked to my dad he had the biggest grin on his face and his hearty laugh in full effect.

"Relax boy! I'm just messin'! Come on in here for a beer!" He dad clapped his back and started walking into the kitchen. Harry peered up at me with the widest eyes.

"I'm so confused," he whispered.

"Welcome to Louisiana," I smiled and placed a peck on his cheek. "Come on," I tucked my arm under his and led him into the kitchen.

"Sweetie want a glass?" My mom asked me, tapping on her wine glass. I nodded and she poured me one.

"What you want boy? Natty light? Bud light?" My dad asked Harry and he once again turned to me in confusion.

"Beer." I said nodding.

"Oh! Um, anything is fine." Harry smiled.

"So you're an avid drinker?" My dad asked.

"Dad what?" I asked, completely confused by the way he's treating Harry.

"Al relax! Sorry, he just likes to watch the boys squirm," my mom scolded him and stroked Harry's arm. I could see instant relief in his face because my mom likes him.