39

"Where are we going next?" Orion asked.

"Pahinga muna tayo. Hindi ka ba pagod?"

Bumaling siya sa akin at saka ngumisi. "I'm always well rested when I'm with you," banat niya sabay kindat.

Napakagat-labi na lang ako at sinabayan ang trip niya. At dahil hindi pa naman daw siya pagod, dumiretso na lang kami sa isa ko pang gustong puntahan.

Kung kanina, si Tavora ang binisita namin, ngayon naman si Malds. Ilang taon na rin akong walang balita tungkol sa kaniya ngunit hindi katulad ni Tavora, mukhang mas mabuti ang kalagayan ni Architect Mallorie.

"I don't regret what I did," aniya. "But rest assured that I will no longer bother you once I get out."

Nakahinga naman ako ng maluwag dahil sa sinabi niya. Mas agresibo siya kaysa kay Tavora pero sa tingin ko, ganito lang talaga ang pagkatao niya.

"Take good care of him or I might snatch him from you," she added with a smirk.

I mimicked her expression and leaned towards her. "We're not here for your apologies. I just wanted to see you so I could fully make peace with my past."

I gave her one last smile before heading to the door. I already achieved my agenda and that is to see her for the last time. There's no need for us to stay any longer.

"Some people just can't change, huh?" I scoffed, then going inside the car.

Orion sighed. "I do believe that not everyone can change especially those who are trapped in their beliefs that there's nothing wrong with them."

I couldn't help but agree with his words. I actually thought that just like Tavora, Malds would at least be resentful of her actions.

I sighed heavily and closed my eyes. It wasn't easy for me to do this but I'm glad that I did. I'm glad that I tried.

We drove to a Filipino restaurant and ate lunch. We then spent the whole afternoon in my condo planning for our trip tomorrow.

The following day, we flew to Minnesota. We checked in to our hotel first before heading to the main purpose of our visit here.

It's been years since I last set foot here but I can still remember where it is.

We walked on the wide lawn with candles and a basket of flowers on our hands. And when we reached the exact spot, my tears started falling.

I knelt in front of the gravestone and placed the basket of flowers while Orion lit the candles.

"I miss you, mama," I cried, my heart full of longing for her. "The guy whom you're so fond with is here with me too. I still can't believe that you named your sons after him," I added, now with a chuckle.

Umupo si Orion sa tabi ko at saka ako inakbayan. "Hi, mama."

Gulat akong napatingin sa kaniya ngunit nginisihan niya lang ako. "What? She told me before that I can call her that."

Napailing na lang ako sa kaniya at binalik na ang tingin sa lapida. "Orion left me and broke my heart, mama," pagsusumbong ko.

Orion faked a gasp and dramatically sighed but I continued.

"But even after what happened, I still love him, mama," pagpapatuloy ko na ikinangiti naman ng katabi ko.

I continued talking, pretending that mama is listening. And when I was done, Orion insisted that we should stay first because he also wants to say something.

"As much as I'm ashamed to admit this, I did leave your London, mama. Walking away from her broke my heart too," he started, then glancing at me. "There wasn't a day that I wasn't thinking about her and longing for her. What I thought was the right thing to do broke her heart."