Chapter 17

Song: Almost is never enough -Ariana Grande ft Nathan Sykes
_________________________________

I stared at the clock, fidgeting in my seat. It was already time to leave the office but I wasn't moving. Taking in a deep breath I tried to calm myself down.

"Hey, wanna go back together?" Asked Blake from beside me.

He had already shut down his computer, his bag slinging around his shoulder.

"You go ahead, I'm going to stay for a while" I replied.

He looked at me strangely.

"Do you still not trust me?" He asked solemnly.

"What!? No, its not that."

"You haven't done one thing since you came here in the morning. Is everything okay? Is your mom okay?"

I glanced at Blake and was surprised to see concern on his face. This sudden change between our dynamic wasn't bad but was very shocking.

"Yeah, everything is fine. Mom is doing really good. I just could not sleep last night."

He nodded at my words. His cap slung over his head.

"Okay, then I'll be heading out."

I smiled at him and muttered a goodbye. After few more minutes it was only me and Kaisey left in the office. Finally finding the time perfect to talk to her I stepped towards her office. She had pretty much stayed in it the whole day. Not even going out for break.

I knocked on her door gently, hoping that everything goes smoothly.

"Come in" came her voice from inside.

Opening the door slightly I stepped in. She looked up from the documents she was reading and froze upon seeing me.

"Anything wrong?" She asked professionally.

I stepped forward and walked over to her desk.

"I just wanted to talk about what happened yesterday-" I started.

"I don't want to talk about it, if that's all you can leave" she said coldly, shifting her gaze back to the papers on her desk.

I stood there for a moment contemplating if I should just leave or finish what I came here to do.

"I'm sorry about Leigh. What she said to you was mean and she acted very rude. I don't know what got into her. She isn't actually like that. I'm truly sorry for what happened."

I was relieved to let that out in a flow without stuttering. Ever since yesterday I had this guilt built inside me because of what happened. Although Leigh's intentions were good the way she did it was wrong.

Kaisey looked back up at me and stayed quite for a few seconds.

"Me and Carter have a really great relationship Eva, he means everything to me and I won't let an outsider tell me otherwise" she said looking at me directly.

"Your right, I apologise for Leigh's behaviour" I repeated, I didn't know what else to say to her hoping this would end the conversation and I could leave.

Kaisey stood up from her chair and walked over to me. Standing in front of me she crossed her arms over her chest.

"Carter is in a relationship with me because he likes me, he asked me out because he was interested in me. I don't care what your history was with him but his present is me and I won't let his ex girlfriend make me feel insecure about that" she said sternly.