Chapter 14

"The shrapnel in your body, has merged with you at a cellular level." Caitlin informed Bette.

Winnie and Caitlin had decided to hold off on testing out her powers until they could figure out a way to help Bette figure out what to do with hers. So, now Winnie sat down on the floor of the medical bay just outside of the cortex, leaning her back against the doorframe's opening.

Frank lay down beside Winnie feeling her relaxing touch as she stroked his head. Cisco had leaned against a desk and Caitlin stood a few feet in front of Bette, who was sat down on a bed. 

Barry had only walked in moments before the big unveiling and he seemed so devastated. Winnie just wanted to hold both of their hands and tell them that everything was going to work out just fine. But, that wasn't something Winnie was 100% certain on.

"The technology required to unsplice your DNA, hasn't been invented yet." Dr. Wells added, folding his hands.

"Bette..." Barry sighed.

She shook her head as a few stray tears made their way down her cheeks, "It's okay. Roger that... I just need a minute. Don't worry. I'm pretty sure I can cry without blowing stuff up." 

She got up and fled the room as more tears threatened to come out. Winnie felt a sadness tug at her, wanting everything to be better for Bette.

"I-I'll go check up on her." Winnie said looking to Caitlin, who nodded her head. Getting up, she dusted off her jeans causing Frank to perk up. Once she was ready, she glanced around the room at everyone and began to leave. As she did so, Frank instantly stood up too and trotted after her as disappeared from view.

---

"Hey." Winnie said as she approached a crying Bette Sans Souci. Bette was sitting down on the floor in one of Star Labs's many corridors her gloved hands placed over her bent knees, tightly squeezing. The tears flowed smoothly down her face and dripped down onto her already damp pants.

The sergeant lifted her head to see Winnie sadly smiling at her and wiped away her tears as best as she could, wondering what the other woman could possibly want.

"Listen, I now that we don't really know each other but, I thought that you could use some company. That is, if you want it." Winnie asked gently.

Bette nodded her head at the kind offer and Winnie sat down beside her. Frank, who had been following Winnie, laid down in front of the two women.

"It's not the end of the world." Winnie started looking over at Bette who had frowned, thinking about how Winnie had no idea what she was going through.

"I mean, I'm sure that we can find a place for you here. You can help others. Protect people. Just because your powers are destructive doesn't mean that they can't be used for good. I believe that you can help us and everyone else."

Bette let her frown drop, she wasn't quite expecting Winnie to say something... nice. She thought that Winnie would say that she was exaggerating or being stupid but, this was actually something sort of comforting to hear.

"How am I supposed to help? If-if I can't touch anything, what is that going to do?"

Winnie smiled, "You lack imagination. There are so many things you could do. You could distract the bad guys while Barry gets the hostages out... You can destroy all of the weapons or guns. We can try and help you learn to control your powers. Figure out how they work and we can all keep this city safe, every one of us."

"You think so?" Bette asked trying not to let too much hope in, for fear that she would be disappointed, "What if everyone else doesn't wnat me on the team?"