Chapter 29

Two Days Later...

Winnie was tying up the laces of her bowling shoes as she looked over to see Eddie trying to decide which ball he wanted to use.

"What made you choose bowling, Iris? You know I suck." Winnie asked her sister, who had just come back with her shoes.

"I don't know. I just thought, why don't we go bowling and here we are." Iris said, plopping down on the seat across from Winnie. She placed her foot on the table in front of her and began lacing up her own shoes. As Winnie watched Iris do so, her sister glanced up for a second and said, "Hi, guys."

Winnie turned her head to see Barry and Linda, turning to look at the three of them. 

"Winnie, Iris, Eddie, hey." Barry said, letting out some awkward breathy laughs.

"What are you guys doing here?" Linda asked, uncomfortable.

"We thought it would be fun." Iris said.

"I'm pretty sure that was just you. I didn't get a say in the matter. If I did, I would be nowhere near here." Winnie said, crossing her arms. She could never get the hang of bowling, rather than getting strikes or even spares, all Winnie would be left with were sore fingers.

"Barry, Winnie, and I have been bowling here since we were kids." Iris explained, placing her hands on her hips, "Why don't you guys join us?"

"Uh..." Linda hummed, not sure if she really wanted her date to be hijacked.

"Uh..." Barry said, looking to Linda. He tried his best to avoid glancing over at Winnie who's shoelaces came untied once again.

"We don't want to interrupt your date." Eddie said, a big smile on his face.

"No, it's- it's okay." Linda said, biting her lip to keep from getting annoyed.

"Are you sure?" Barry asked, checking that she was all right with it.

"Of course... it'll be fun." Linda said, plastering a fake smile on her face. She looked to Winnie, her smile becoming genuine as she said, "Winnie, are you here on a double date or..."

"Oh no." Winnie said, shaking her head, "Well... kinda. My, uh... friend, Danny. He's coming to keep me from being a third wheel. I think he's just running a little late."

Linda nodded her head, moving to sit down beside Winnie to put on the required footwear. Listening to the conversation, Barry felt his hand clench at the mention of Danny. There was just something about the guy that he didn't like.

"Hey!" A voice spoke from behind Barry causing him and Linda to jump. "Oh, I didn't mean to scare you guys."

"Linda, Eddie, meet Danny." Winnie said, gesturing to him as he moved to sit down on the other side of her. 

"It's nice to meet you both." He said, energetically, "Whew, sorry I was so late. I just finished two assignments a week ahead of the due date and now I'm pumped."

"Great, let's get bowling then." Iris said, clapping her hands together as her and Danny exchanged an odd look.

"All right." Winnie shrugged.

---

Iris released the ball from her hold, scoring a spare as she spun around, clapping her hands in celebration.

"Ha-ha! Do you smell that, Barry? That's defeat." She taunted.

"You never told me you were such a big fan of bowling." Eddie said, confused at her sudden interest.