4. distant memories

dixie's pov
      i knew the house would be nice but it was nicer than i had ever imagined.
      "your jaw is hanging open again." charli whisper in my ear and i close it once again.
      "madi? charli? you guys home already?" i hear mrs. monroe call walking towards are direction.
      "yes, mom we're home." madi answers her mothers
       "well me and your father ha- oh what's avani doing here? and who is this?"
       "i'm dixie d'amelio. it's nice to meet you ma'am." i say extending my hand out to her.
         "oh it's nice to meet you. so what brings the two of you two the house?" she asks sweetly.
        "um, well actually-"
        "SHES MY SISTER!" charli yells cutting me off.
          mrs. monroe is quiet for a few moments before opening up her arms and giving me and hug. i didn't know what else to do but hug her back.
"well hello dixie, just know that you and avani are welcome to my house anytime." she smiles at the both of us.
      "so anyways you're father and i have dinner plans with the Easterling's and the Hall's and the Johnson's to discuss business. we'll be back later, feel free to order whatever you want for dinner. love you." she says planting a kiss on both charli and madi's foreheads.
      "love you too mom." madi smiles at her mother.
       "love you, have a good dinner." charli says flashing her a soft smile.
       mrs. monroe walks out the door and we all look back at eachother.
      "god what i would do for parents like that" avani says.
      "amen. or a house like this." i add on.
      charli's face suddenly flashes a sad expression but quickly replaces it with a fake happy. even though it had been 4 years since i'd seen her i could still tell went she was faking emotions.
"we'll talk about this later." i said low enough so only she would hear.
"well i think we should start talking."
       "where do we start?" i say.
"after we adopted charli i guess would be the best place to start." madi replies.
       "well, after charli left it was just me and avani, it's been that way ever since. two years ago we started to work at the country club. griffin drives us to work. we started working, and bought our phones and regular clothes, we opened bank accounts to save up for after we turn 18. no one is willing to adopt us at this point. i start college next month and they officially release me out into the world and avani has to stay there. we work all year long except for holiday breaks, and off days. that catches you up to now for the most part." i say concluding my explanation.   
       "there's not much to it." avani says.
        "i'm so sorry you guys have to do that." madi said.
       "it's life, it happens to some not others, i'm just glad you got my sister out of there before this happened. thank you madi, it means the world to me to know she's having a good life and isn't struggling." i put my hand on her shoulder and give her a smile.
       she returns the smile and nods. i turn seeing avani and charli in there own conversation. charli had a slight blush on her face. yeah, that's avani for you. i always kinda new she liked charli, even when we were younger.
      charli looked over avani's shoulder and excused herself from the conversation.
      "i think it's best to talk in private." she said dragging me to the backyard.
        we both sat at the table quietly not really knowing what to say. we hadn't seen eachother in 4 years, and to even be in the same room with her was insane to me. i looked back to her and she had tears falling down her face.
"char, please don't cry." i hate seeing her cry, i always have.
       "it's just, ive been living here this whole time while you've stuck there. i'm so sorry dixie, i'm sorry that you didn't come with me 4 years back. i'm so sorry." she's full on sobbing at this point.
"stop apologizing for something that you can't control. it's fine charli. i'm fine, i'm okay. look we found eachother everything is okay. so stop wasting your tears on me and give me a damn hug." i said opening my arms widely.
       she rushed into my arms, and it kinda felt like we were kids again.
flashback
      i had just turned 13. it was a friday and the both of us got invited over to a sleepover at a friends house. of course we had asked our parents and they agreed that we could go. i'll never forget that night.
        we arrived at our friends house at about 6:30 and said our goodbyes and gave our parents hugs. we were always a close family.
      everything was fine until about 10pm. i remember charli was already asleep when the parents of my friend pulled me out of the room and told me that my aunt would be coming to pick us up immediately. they didn't tell me what was going on, they just told me to go wake up charli and pack our stuff.
       i walked into a the room again with a sense of dread about the future hours to come.
       "what's wrong?" my friend asked.
       "i don't know but your parents just said that my aunt is coming to get me a charli. something happened."
i shook charli awake and held her hand as we walked out of the house. we had reached my aunts car and asked her what was going on.  
      "your parents are gone." she said tears streaming down her face.
      "as in- NO! THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING!" i yelled.
       "i'm sorry dixie. your parents were asleep when your house somehow caught aflame. the fire department tried to get to them in time but they just couldn't. they managed to save two things, she reached into the drivers seat and pull out a family photo we had taken a few weeks back and charli's teddy bear she's had since she was little. she handed them both to me and tears began streaming down my face.  i was in 8th grade, my sister was 10, i couldn't handle this.
       i handed charli her bear and rested my face on the window just as it began to pour. i didn't even think charli knew what was going on until i felt her scoot closer to me and lean on my shoulder. i wrapped my arm around her pulling her small figure close to me. she was all i had left at this point.
       "pixie." she whispered.
        "yes char?"
        "they're okay now, they don't have to worry anymore." i sat there in shock.
         those words coming out the mouth of a ten year old who had never once said something like that.
       "i love you char. try and get some sleep."
       "i love you too pix." she laid her head on my shoulder and fell asleep.
     for this moment forward i promised i would do whatever i could to protect her. i knew it wouldn't last forever but i could try.
      a week later the people working for child services took us from our aunt because she was only visiting and to the orphanage.
        but no matter what the challenge, no matter where we were i was going to make sure she had the best life she could, even if it was one without me.
      end of flashback
      i let a tear fall from my eye as i held my sister tighter. i kept my promise, even though it was without me.
         "pixie?"
         "yeah?"
          "what're you thinking about?" she asked.
        "that night." two words that we automatically associated with the most traumatic day our life's.
        "hey, hey. it's okay. they're okay, we're okay." she said looking me in my eyes.
        i nodded as i sniffled. i may be physically strong but she always was the mentally strong one.
        "thank you charli, for everything." i let her go and wiped my eyes.
        "come on let's go inside and order dinner." i nodded and followed her back into the large building.
        we walked back into their living room and sat down on one of the couches.
        "so we kinda want chinese food, so." avani said and madi nodded her head.
        "i'm good with that. dixie?" char asked me and i flashed a thumbs up.
       i wasn't really in the mood to talk and i figured everyone respected that. i saw charli and madi walk off i guess to order the food. i felt like someone was staring at me so i looked up meeting a set of eyes that belonged to my best friend. i watched as she go off the other couch and sat next to me.
           i laid my head on her shoulder and it felt like it always had been. just me and avani against the world. it had always been that way.
       "i'm not going to push you to talk since you obviously don't want to, but just know that i'm always here if you need me."
         "thanks vani." i smiled and closed my eyes for a bit.
1 hour later
       i was shaken awake by madi and i now noticed that i was alone in the couch. i guessed the food was here so i followed the tall blonde out of the room, and to the kitchen where i saw my sister very publicly flirting with my best friend.
"how perfect." i thought.
the rest of the night was spent on trivial conversation and getting to know one another.
when it was about 9:30 and we said decided it was probably best to go home.
       "hey we really gotta get home." avani said to me.
         "okay, just tell the driver where to bring you." we nodded and said out goodbyes before walking out the door.
         upon arrival to the building we said our thank you's and goodbyes to the drive and walked in.
        "so, how was it?" mrs. doris asked.
        "it was great, i really have missed charli." i said to her.
        "i know kid." she is a smile and then me and avani walked upstairs to our room.  
        today had been crazy to me. i got into my bed and closed my eyes.
word count: 1734
       n e ways i'm back i just had some writers block. i apologize for any grammatical errors