Ch. 14

Cat Noir was again spying on the Eiffel Tower, which seemed to always be the first place villains ran off to. Cat Noir was currently annoyed yet pleased. He was annoyed that his dad had decided to take the cowardly way out rather than face them, but he was pleased that Ladybug had decided to trust him with an assignment.

Mayura as well as Princess Fragrance were with Hawk Moth at the moment. There weren't any other akuma victims, and, thankfully, there wasn't a butterfly in sight. The villains were patrolling the tower, but they were doing it with less vigor than before. Cat Noir decided it was time to make their move. He explained the plan to the others, then they split.

"Hey, chicken!" Cat Noir called as he stood at the base of the tower.

Hawk Moth angrily returned his gaze.

"Why don't you come down here and fight me?" The hero asked.

"Why don't you come up here and fight me?" Hawk Moth countered.

"I asked first!" Cat Noir knew he sounded childish, but maybe the annoying taunt would provoke the villain to come down.

Hawk Moth was clearly considering it. "And, what exactly, are you going to do to me once I get down there?"

"I'm going to challenge you to a duel."

"Challenge me!" Hawk Moth let out a bark of laughter. "You'd be dead in a second!"

"Why are you still up there then?" Cat Noir pointed out. "If you'd squash me flat in a second, then you shouldn't be up there hiding from me."

Hawk Moth was clearly enraged but uncomfortable. "Fine." He growled. He met Cat Noir at the base of the tower. Cat Noir crossed his staff over his chest, then brought it to his side in an elegant bow.

Hawk Moth wasn't about to do any of that. Instead he quickly lunged at Cat Noir, who twisted out of the way. Unbeknownst to all except one, a duel between father and son had begun.

Cat Noir whacked at Hawk Moth. He let his burning anger fuel him. Hawk Moth held his own with relentless persistence, as if he knew it was only a matter of time before Cat Noir fell before him. Lunge after lunge, parry and feint, the two were caught up in an ongoing dance that was a blur to all who watched.

Hawk Moth swung his cane low; Cat Noir jumped over it. Hawk Moth lunged, but Cat Noir side-stepped out of the way. He twirled his staff over his head like vikings might twirl axes.

The other heroes quickly surrounded Hawk Moth when they saw Cat Noir's signal. Hawk Moth whistled as he defended himself. Mayura and Princess Fragrance joined the fight, so the heroes broke up to counter them as well.

King Monkey and Mayura were in a heated battle while Carapace used his shield to block Princess Fragrance's perfume. Cat Noir was still battling Hawk Moth, but this time he had Pegasus on his side.

The two sides fought against each other for a while, each gaining the upper hand only to have it be taken from them. Spectators passed by, and word of the raging battle spread quickly throughout Paris. Soon it seemed that the whole city was there, cheering on their heroes.

Cat Noir rolled out of the way as Hawk Moth's cane came swinging at his head. Pegasus blocked the blow, and Cat Noir took the opportunity to lunge at Hawk Moth's waist. He hit his target, and Hawk Moth stumbled back.

"You'll never win." Hawk Moth growled. "Might as well give up now."

"Hmm, that is a generous offer. Let me think about it... no." Cat Noir smirked. "I could do this all day."

"So could I." Hawk Moth agreed. They instantly came at each other, and the rhythmic clash of metal against metal resumed once more.