~9~

🖤

"Answer the question, (Y/N)," I say, practically quivering with fury. "Why are you here?" She looks me in the eye. I can barely sense her fear, but it's definitely there. Interestingly, she simply takes a deep breath and exhales. 

"I was on my way to the kitchen and I-"

"Answer the question, (Y/N)!" The Star Sanses behind her flinch back. Usually, that would be a great form of entertainment, but right now all my rage is concentrated on her.

"I am trying to answer the question! You interrupted me!"

"EXCUSE ME?!" She twitches, and Ink pushes Dream and Blue behind him and they back up against the wall.

"I-I got lost and ended up here," she replied, despite the slight tremor in her voice, her expression is strangely calm. I then remind myself about how she hides her emotions. 

"I'm telling the truth, so can you please calm down?" I stare at her intensely, and she stares back, clearly trying to keep her expression calm. After a few intense minutes, I tilt my head towards the door. Follow me. 

We walk out the exit and Cross closes the door behind us, locking it behind him. I rub the side of my temple. 

"Sorry," I say, darkly. "I just had a sudden rage." I see Cross twitch. There are some strange emotions coming off from him that I don't really feel like concentrating on right now.

"Yeah, I could tell," she replies, hovering in midair and looking down at her hands as she plays with her hair. 

Several moments of silence.

"Uh, shouldn't we go and eat breakfast or something?" Cross finally says, breaking the silence.

"I have a question!" (Y/N) cuts in, hovering in mid-air again.

"Shoot," I say as I begin to make my way to the dining room.

"I kinda recognized one of them. The one wearing brown; he introduced himself as Ink," she says. "What were they doing here?"

Frick. Not this question. 

I'm not sure if I want to tell her the truth, it might make her hate me, but lying might make things worse. Say if one of the Star Sanses found her and told her the truth. She might believe them and stop talking to me - I couldn't lose her a second time - but even if she didn't believe them, she'd ask again for clarification, and she might ask someone who'd be more honest.

You'd asked the question to test Nightmare. You were curious as to how much he trusted you. Actually, you were just glad he wasn't mad anymore. You'd taken a risk by asking him only a few minutes after he'd calmed down. 

To be honest, you had already guessed who the 'bad guy' was. If Error worked for Nightmare, and he'd tried to kill you only yesterday, then there was a chance Nightmare was the same. 

But like in most stories you'd read, sometimes the villain was just misunderstood. You were absolutely certain this was one of those times, you didn't know how or why, but you weren't going to change your mind anytime soon. Maybe it was because he'd helped you, or maybe it was something else.

Either way, you trusted him, trusted him a lot for some reason, actually. You wanted to know if he trusted you back.

"They're basically our enemies," he says, finally. "We're, uh, keeping them here until we figure out what to do with them."

🖤

It's not a lie, but it's not exactly the whole truth either. If the Star Sanses were to somehow get to her, then that's what they'd say. Except maybe Ink and Error... I'm going to have to deal with that later.

"Oh, is that so... Thanks for telling the truth, I'm glad you trust me!" She smiles. It's the exact same smile. She hasn't changed one bit. 

I almost feel bad for not telling her the whole truth, but I absolutely could not risk losing her. 

Although it seems that this time, she is much calmer when it comes to her emotions. She seems less likely to suddenly lose her temper, or maybe that's because she looks a little older. Maybe in her mid-twenties. 

At least she's lived longer this time. Last time, she barely made it to her teens.

"So... can we have breakfast now? I'm starving," she begins taking a turn to the left.

"Dining room is that way," Cross says, pointing the other way. I'd completely forgotten he was with us.

"Oh, haha... Sorry," came (Y/N)'s response as she quickly twisted around and made her way down the correct hall.

"Well, she probably wasn't lying about getting lost," Cross says in an undertone to me.

"No, probably not," I say back, picking up the pace as I realize I'm losing sight of her. "(Y/N), wait for us or you'll get lost!"

You glance at Nightmare. You'd just finished breakfast and he'd offered to take you home. You give him your address, and he teleports you right outside your door. 

"Do you mind if I sometimes come by to visit you?" he asks.

"Sure, but I might not always be home," you reply.

"That's alright, I can always just wait," Nightmare says, before adding, "If you don't mind."

"I don't mind."

"Alright then. I'll be off now," he says, giving a wave, "See you soon."

"See you!" With that, Nightmare teleports away, leaving you on your doorstep.

(Words: 900)

Guess who managed to find their motivation again~ I also started school again. Like I'm actually walking into class with a mask and hand sanitizer. Currently, I'm supposed to be listening to a presentation about short stories, but I'm typing this instead. I hope you enjoyed this chapter!