Steve Rogers

A/N I'm not following the story anymore. I am veering from the tracks now please don't get mad.

________________________________

It's a rainy morning in New York and if I had been told what would happen today I would have never believed it. On my morning run all I could think of was Bucky. He had been the focus of my thoughts for a while now. I have been trying to get the team to agree to help me look. I have a feeling he's not dead. My hopes have only been strengthened by a mysterious man with striking sea green eyes and long messy black hair. He has popped up in the news again and he looks like Bucky. At least his eyes look like Buck's. I haven't gotten close enough to remove his mask. But if it is Bucky what happened to him he was a good man. What would make him turn against us? Why would he hurt innocent people? Unless.......

No it can't be him he fell from the train there is no way he could have survived that fall. I continue to run. The cool droplets of water run down my back. I'm almost back to the tower when I feel something staring at me. I feel the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I keep my pace but I'm now more alert and aware of my surroundings. I stop to cross the street to the tower. When I see my stalker....

Black hair

Green eyes

We lock eyes. I saw his entire face for the first time. With his hair pulled back I can see him. My best friend. But how? He looks down after what felt like hours but could have only been seconds. He begins to walk the other way when I see it. The glint of silver hanging out of a hoodie sleeve. His hand is completely metal.

"Bucky is that you?" I yell after the man. He turns and gives me the meanest glare I have ever seen and then disappears without a trace. Almost as if he just evaporated. Was that my Bucky or someone else could he be back. Did Hydra get him and if so what is left of him? Defeated, I walk back to the tower only to find my team in a panic getting ready to go fight a threat. "What's happening?"

Tony is the only one to respond and his words shock me to the core. "The winter soldier just appeared at shield and he is tearing it apart." The blood drains from my face. I swiftly change into my suit and we pile into the quinjet.

---time skip---

We land and find chaos. People are running from the entrance. We enter against the wave of people. What I find is all the proof I need that the man I saw earlier is the winter soldier. The metal arm and hand are in full view and when the man turns I see hydra's mark on it. I look past his arm and at his face. It is now half covered by a mask but the evil merciless glint in his eyes sends chills down my back. My teammates are fighting Hydra members when I snap out of my shock. The winter soldier runs head on at me while more shield agents gather to help fight. I'm still frozen in shock and maybe Bucky lands a right hook on my face and I fall. He just stares at me on the ground almost as if to mock me. I stand and engage in the fight. We are almost evenly matched but he is slowly gaining the upper hand.

"Give up" the voice that comes through the mask is crackly and distorted. I push him back with all my force.

" I can do this all day" the winter soldier's eyes glaze over and then he doubles over. He clutches his head and his mask falls. The walls burst and water sprays the entire room we are in. Not taking a chance that I may be leaving my best friend I slam my shield hard into the back of his head and call for a retreat from the team as water gushes around our feet. We load into the quinjet with Bruce piloting. Thank God he didn't hulk out. We quickly restrain the green eyed man. Hoping the wire around his wrists will hold him. We are only in the air for a few minutes before he wakes up.

"Steve, is that you? Oh gods, is that really you?" Everybody but Bruce looked at me in shock. " Yeah it's me, is that you Bucky. What happened?"

"Keep me restrained. I don't know how deep their grip goes one me. Don't let me hurt anyone else." He is crying "I hurt so many innocent people p please don't let me hurt them anymore."

"Who's got a hold on you Bucky?" I know the answer but I need him to say it. I need him to confirm it himself.

"Hydra Steve Hydra took me after I fell. They took my arm and brainwashed me. I am their puppet. 10 words and I will do anything they want." His words are hitting me so hard I'm also crying. "Steve, I love you please remember that and I don't mean like a brother or friend, I mean I love you and I have for a very long time." He lifts his head and his bloodshot eyes meet mine. "But if they turn me again, promise me" he takes a deep shuddering breath. " Promise me if those ten words are used and they have me you will end me." My heart stops my best friend not only just admitted to one being gay and loving me but also asked me to kill him if I had to all in the last 10 minutes. Everyone is staring at me. My entire body shakes. "Please I can't hurt anyone else and I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if I hurt you or any of your friends." He's pleading with me. I have never seen Bucky with such a desperate look in his eyes. "DAMN IT STEVE PLEASE!" His voice raises with desperation as Tony and Thor stand ready to restrain him. "I will do everything I can to prevent it but I swear if it happens I will kill you." Tears are rolling down my face in rivers. His voice is softer but now there is an edge of steal in it "swear it on the river of Styx." Thor stiffens as if he recognizes this phrase. "I swear on the river Styx that I will uphold my promise to the best of my ability." Thunder rolls and Bucky's silent tears become gut reaching sobs. My heart shatters. The rest of the flight is in complete silence except for Bucky's sobs. When we arrive at the tower Thor and I escort Bucky to a cell. The look of pure relief on his face breaks my heart even more knowing my best friend is so broken.

______________________________

Holy cow that was long. I hope you all enjoyed it.