Chapter 1: Alone

Mary's pov:

        I looked back at I saw the Banks family and Jack of course. I smiled as I flew away on my umbrella into the sky. I finally flew down when I saw my flat and I entered with a bright smile knowing that they were all happy now. I wasn't entirely happy and it hurt me even more to know that I felt that way. There was a hurt in my heart that I had never felt before, I dismissed it though before it could become to much for me. Of course I lived to have fun with the Banks family but my job could not permit it. Rule number one was to have no attachments to anyone not even if you are head over heels for them. Tears started to fill my eyes but I was soon interrupted by bickering.

"I should be put in a more honorable spot and not her with them!" said her umbrella

"Oh shush, you are perfectly fine right here"

My umbrella groaned as it was put next to the canes who started laughing. 

Most wouldn't expect it but I am just as human as anyone else here in London. I live in a flat just a few streets down from the Banks household. It was a small flat but it was perfect, of course it was perfect Mary I thought to myself. I sat on my grey couch which had navy blue pillows on it, the living room walls were white as all the decor was navy blue and grey. Everything in my flat coordinated with each other and I smiled at this thought since it made me very happy. I lived alone of course but that didn't bother me much. I liked being alone. Alone is where I could be my true self and not the strict nanny that I am in public. I can dance to my music and giggle like a schoolgirl when I find something humorous. I was lonely at times and personally I mean who isn't? Living alone has it's flaws but I work through them and I go on with my days.

I erased the unpleasant thoughts from my head and got up from where I was sitting. I walked towards the kitchen and poured myself a cup of tea. The teapot chuckled and sighed as I put the warm tea into her opening. I smiled knowing that I had these little friends and my Imagination to get me through my days. I put the teapot back in it's place and sat down at my kitchen table. I looked out the window where if you sat at one specific angle you could all the cherry trees blossoming in the spring. Cherry Blossoms are my favorite type of tree for many reasons, they are such a beautiful color, the way the leaves fly in the sky is breathtaking, and lastly it marks the start of spring , one of the happiest times of the years. My thoughts were interrupted by a knock on the door. I never got visitors so I grew suspicious, maybe it was my dear old cousin Topsy or Jack. My dear Jack, No, No you are 137 years old Mary you should not be having these crushes. 

I patted myself down and opened the door to reveal a little boy around the age of John and Anabel. He stood there and looked at me with a confused look on his face as if saying, why are you here? I smiled.

"May I help you?" I said straightening myself 

He shook his head and crossed something off a piece of paper and walked off. I watched him walk off into the busy streets of London. Until I saw a familiar face on a bike coming down the street, Jack. I could feel my cheeks heat up and turn a bright shade of pink. I just stood there with the feeling of butterflies in my stomach, tears welling up in my as well. I felt his gaze come towards me as her turned the corner and I immediately closed the door and stood behind it hoping he didn't see. I looked out the window as I saw him pass my flat and look back as if trying to identify the house. I went upstairs as I felt my heart trying to escape it's place in my body as tears started in my eyes again and I let them flow. 

I could feel the canes and my umbrella look at me but I just ignored it since there was noting they could do. It was getting late and I needed to head to bed for tomorrow. I wasn't doing anything special since tomorrow was my day but I wanted to wake up early and see if I can visit Cousin Topsy. I put on my nightgown and undid my hair and makeup as I looked at myself in the mirror. Oh how lonely I was at times but it was forbidden to have company. My only focus and purpose in life was to bring magic into the lives of the kids I nanny. I walked towards my bedroom which had red walls and a blue single bed in the middle just for me. I patted off any dust that lay on my bed and I slid in under the covers in the comfort of my own bed. I stared out my window at the cherry trees that looked so beautiful under the moonlight. I walked towards the window at the trees as I saw the lamps starting to light up. The lamplighter was getting closer to my flat and I just smiled seeing the trees in the light. 

I looked down to see Jack with a cheekish grin and bright eyes staring up at me. I was certainly not a rude person so I opened the window and greeted him.

"Hello there Jack" I said smiling

"Ello Mary Poppins! I didn't know you lived in this part of London"

I chuckled "Well I do just Me and I in my little old flat. How are you and Jane doing if I must ask?"

He looked down at his feet and I worried that I had asked the wrong question I smiled a little but immediately frowned hoping he didn't see. "You don't have to answer of course if-"

"No, no it's okay Mary Poppins" he said looking up and smiling. "We just discovered we weren't fit for each other and I have eyes on a different gal instead"

I felt my heart sink at this comment but I didn't let it overcome me. I am a grown women and I should not be feeling this way I reminded myself. 

"Must be a very lucky girl, would I know her?" I said to cut the silence

"Maybe i ain't sure if you would though" he said with a smug look on his face. "She's one of the most perfect girls on this planet." I looked down as a felt my cheeks heat up.

"May I ask what your off to do tomorrow Mary Poppins?" he asked with his head tilted sideways.

I hesitated before speaking "off to Topsy's maybe, I'm not entirely sure yet" 

"If you don't mind I would love to come along"

I looked up and he was standing on his latter right in front of my window. Our faces were inches away and I could feel his breathe on my cold skin. 

"You can say no if you don't want me to" he said with a kind look and small smile.

"No, no of course you can come! Were friends anyway and that's what friends do" I said standing up and smiling. His smile faded and he started down his ladder.

"Very well the Mary Poppins" he looked up smiling again "See you tomorrow morning right here." He put his ladder away and sat on his bike.

"Goodnight Jack" I said cheeks pink and warm.

"Goodnight Mary Poppins" he said as he waved and rode off into the London night. I smiled and closed the window wanting to get sleep for the day to come. I laid my head down and daydreamed about sitting in the park watching the tree leaves fly around and the children playing in the park. I finally drifted to sleep with a smile on my face.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Thanks for reading this chapter and I hoped you enjoyed it! 

Please give me any tips of writing these characters/story or just my writing in general. I won't be mad ( I would be very thankful)

Thank you!

-Rosielle <3