Chapter Twelve

Alissa stood silently outside the small room Kenny was held in, observing him through the one-sided glass. The young teen busied himself by tugging at his clothes or tossing his brown locks from his face. From a distance, she could barely tell he was a living, breathing being at all. If someone didn't look hard enough, it'd be easy to assume he was nothing short of a doll left behind. The poor boy was helpless on his own. And Alissa knew that if the allegations about his foster family were true, he wouldn't stand a chance. 

"What was your point of containing him in there?" A thin, tall man walked over to stand beside Alissa. His police uniform was neat and tidy, his dark-colored hair slicked back and out of his eyes. "One of my sergeants say you wish to investigate his foster parents?"

"Chief Kline," Alissa glanced towards the man with a soft frown. "Yes. I do. I understand it has been done many times before but both the victim's and the accused statements line up perfectly. I even took the liberty to contact a former teacher of Kenneth's and she too confirmed that he would have unexplainable bruises. Before we send him with them, I want to be one hundred percent positive he will be safe."

Chief Kline gazed at the young blonde for a moment, a soft chuckle passing his lips. "You are one of the youngest psychiatrists we have ever worked with. And yet you seem to understand and know more than the ones that have been doing this decades longer than you."

"Because unlike some people, I'm not in it for the money. I grew up with an abusive father. And I promised myself that when I grew up, I would do everything in my power to help children that dealt with the same issues. This hits home for me, sir. And I refuse to let this boy leave here without proper observation being done. Just because I am young, doesn't mean I don't have the exact same training or experiances as the others you work with. Now I hope you'll let me do my job." Alissa turned away from the chief now to gaze back into the small room, her frown deepening.

"I didn't mean any offence, I apologize," Kline said sincerly. "I have every intention of letting you do your job. But what you suggested is risky. If something were to go wrong-"

"-I would hope you have plenty of officers on standby. If something goes wrong, they should be able to interfere," she interrupted, inhaling sharply as a realization hit her. "You came to tell me that the parents are here."

"That I did, yes," he nodded his head faintly. "And I'll say this right now. The mother is the worst actor I've ever seen in my life. No wonder all the accounts were with the father before. I may not be able to believe the accused, or maybe even the victim without seeming biased. But I can believe the word of a professional, Miss Kelly."

Alissa felt her heart swell in joy. At least not all of the officers were arrogant and full of themselves. "I appreciate that. I know what I've suggested is possibly dangerous to the boy, but that's why I requested some of your best to be nearby, with their weapons if need be. I think we're ready. I'll go talk with them before we send them in."

With that, Alissa picked her clipboard up, tucked it under her arm, and headed out to the main lobby to speak with the foster parents. She prepared herself for anything to be said, to be done. And she was also prepared to judge them based on not only her education, but also her own instincts. 

-----------------------------------------------------------

When she entered the lobby, her stomach churned just at the sight of the couple. The father, dressed up in a three-piece suit with his hair neatly combed off to the side. He stood clasping his wife's hands, a convincing worried look on his face. However, when he turned to look at Alissa and offered her a friendly smile, his eyes betrayed his face. Green eyes that held no emotion behind them whatsoever. 

The wife was dressed up in a long, flowy floral skirt and button up blouse. They appeared to be attempting to make themselves look as distraught as possible. When the woman's eyes turned on Alissa, the unconvincing tears began to roll down her face. "I-Is it true?!" She cried out, rushing forward, tripping over herself. "Did you find really find him?"

Chief Kline had been right. The woman was a terrible actor. And her husband seemed to know that too, for he stepped forward and used an arm to tuck her behind him. "Forgive her hysterics," he stated in a friendly tone, but once again, his eyes didn't match what he was trying to portray. "We've just been so worried about him. And to hear what that monster of a woman did to our boy, it's only made her worse."

Alissa could feel her anger wanting to boil over. They had the nerve to speak like that about Nova, when in truth, they were the monsters. She couldn't, however, let any sign that she knew what was going on show. She had to put on just as convincing an act as the man before her. "Yes, Mr and Mrs. Franks. We've found Kenny, and yes, what was done to him is true. I'm so sorry. But you'll be happy to know that as soon as he confirm's your identities, you're free to take him."

"Thank you very much," the deceiving man said with an equally deceiving smile, and he case a glance at his wife whilst they followed Alissa to the room where Kenneth was being held. 

---------------------------------------------------------------

Alissa and Chief Kline shared a brief moment of eye contact, silently confirming that everything was in its place and ready to go. She gently pushed open the large door, letting the couple to step through first before she quickly followed after them. She had to get a look at Kenneth's initial reaction for herself.

It had been just what she'd expected. His dark brown eyes drifted towards them before they widened in absolute terror and panic. She couldn't see it, but when his eyes drifted to his father and he straightened himself out, suddenly looking much calmer, she could only assume he'd been sent a dirty look telling him to pretend. "M-Mom, dad," he said quietly with a smile. The young teen was a better actor than the two of them combined. Had she not seen the fear on his face, Alissa would have no reason to believe anything was wrong.

Now came the tricky part. "I'm going to go get a few papers for you to fill out then you can be on your way," she said calmly, smiling at the parents. From the corner of her eye, she saw Kenny twitch and his shoulders tense, and she did her best to cast a reassuring look his way. 

Alissa slowly left the room and closed the door behind her, making her way over to the one-sided window. The rest of the plan was up to the couple and Kenny, and the officers on standby.