Chapter VI

Olivia’s POV

Tension.

“He what?”, I saw how Tristan's body stiffened, both hands gripping on the table cloth when I told them about what had happened with Greg. “Tell me you're fucking kidding-”

“Tristan”, Mellisa scowled at him while throwing him a glare, probably warning him about his voice of words in public because there were a few stares looking our direction. He had a thing of using cursing when he was really pissed. Mellisa proceeded to reach out and took my hand into hers.

“Liv darling, I'm so sorry”

She was using that voice, the one she always puts on when she's around me. It wasn't a secret that she didn't like me, I think it's mostly because I knew Tristan like the back of my hand, and we were close. She was just trying to get along with me because I'm his best friend and still one of the important people in his life. This wasn't a competition, but she was making it seem like one.

“It's okay Mel. I'll learn to get over it”, I shrugged, smiling politely as I withdrew my hand from her grip.

“No, it's not okay Liv”, Tristan protested as his voice raised that both Mellisa and I stared blankly at him. His facial muscles had contracted and his blue pools darkened. “Did he have any idea how much you loved him?”

Clearly not and he’s not the only one

“It doesn't matter anymore, Stan”

“I told you from the beginning that he wasn't the right man for you”, he scoffed before folding his arms. What a great time to roll in the I-told-you-so's in my face. Thanks a lot, Tristan.

He must have noticed my eyes dropping in disappointment before I heard him heave a sigh. “I'm sorry Liv, that was insensitive of me”, he clicked his tounge. “Are you okay?”

“Tristan, you heard what she said, it doesn't matter anymore”, Mellisa chipped in with a dullness in her tone. Her words seemed to have no effect on him as instead he stretched out his arm to place his hand on my shoulder.

“Are you okay?”, he asked again as his eyes boring into mine and I nodded before forcing a smile

“I'll be fine”, I reassured but the intensity of his gaze didn't dissolve

“Are you sure?”

Of course I'm not sure. I'm beyond broken and the last thing I needed was showing up at this stupid dinner to act like I'm happy that you're getting married.

“I'm sure”, I breathed out, and he still looked like he wasn't convinced. “I'm serious”, I laughed nervously. “This is nothing comfort food can't fix”

“If you need anything, I'll always be here for you, alright?”, his voice was comforting and smooth, I could feel tears attempting to flood my eyes as I placed my hand over his on my shoulder

“I know”

We heard Mellisa heave a deep sigh as she placed her phone back into her purse, drawing the attention on her again. “Nathaniel won't be joining us for dinner tonight”

“That sucks. I was really looking forward to seeing him”, Tristan twisted his lips to the side. “Did he say why?”

“He says he got caught up on something”, Mellisa rested her face in her hands before rolling her eyes. “I told him this would happen if he doesn't organize his things in time”

“Who's Nathaniel?”, I asked curiously as I looked at the both of them simultaneously

“He's my cousin, but I consider him as a brother”, Mellisa smiled in my direction. “He has a doctorate in psychology and just opened his private practice across town a few months ago”