Chapter 4

"Are you ready to go?" They all looked at me and I stood up slowly, ignoring every ache in my body like my life depended on it.

Before I could make my way out of the door, Lucas hobbled up and called to Fallen.

"Actually, can I talk to you before you go?" My hold on the chair tightens, eyes furrowed as they look at him. What on earth would he have to say to Fallen?

Fallen lets out a sigh of agitation. "It's her decision Lucas. You don't need to threaten me."

"It's not that." This got everyone's attention now, I flitted up an eyebrow in confusion because he didn't remove his look from Fallen before continuing. "It'll only take a second."

"Fine." If I thought I was going to be able to listen in on their conversation I was wrong because he limped out of the room and carefully brushed my hand off of him when I tried to come with them. I frowned as they exited the kitchen, which left me with Dan and Halley who sat opposite me as I went to sit back down again since I wasn't sure how long they'd be.

"Are you nervous?" She smiled carefully, and I bit my inner cheek when she somehow made me even more nervous for tonight.

"You don't have to make small talk." It was sharp and maybe Fallen would have been upset with me for the way I was acting but then again, I didn't know these people. Even if Halley seemed lovely, I still didn't want to be here.

It didn't seem to have an effect on her because she continued on anyway. "Oh, but I want to." Dan looked at me with a frown, clearly not impressed with my own attitude.

She sighed, analysing everything about me which only made me more self conscious because I was aware of how gruesome I looked right now. "You've grown so much since then. A fully grown woman now!"

I fidget in my seat, unable to look at her, my eyes falling on the rest of the kitchen. The counters had a shiny coated surface to the wooden tops, the toaster and kettle sat neatly in the corner, a large collection of herbs and spices all arranged into the raised metal shelves.

My head flicks back to her when she speaks again. "When was your birthday again?"

"Oh." I hadn't thought of that, with everything that had been going on, it hadn't even crossed my mind. My lip curls into my mouth when I think of it. Jake always made a cake and we'd play board games with the kids, all of us together in that cozy living room. I curse Halley for having brought it up, now that the pain in my chest gets worse, I didn't want to think about it too much. All it did was remind me how fucked everything was now, and how much I missed my family.

"6th of December." She smiled excitedly as soon as I muttered it out.

"That's only around a week away, what are you going to do for it?" I immediately quietened. I didn't know, I hadn't thought about it. I was going to be an official adult, a day that was supposed to be a big one.

But I didn't even know if I would survive for it. I didn't know anything anymore.

"She's got plenty of time to figure it out Halley." I internally thanked Dan for saving me and for veering the conversation away. I think he saw how anxious I was becoming.

Whatever they were talking about was taking much longer than I thought it would so I turned to Dan fully. My eyes narrowed as did his when I zoned in on him.

"You better watch Lucas."

He chuckled at my tone. "Oh, we will." It felt like the hairs at the back of my neck were rising and bristling against each other in an uncomfortable way. I needed him to take me seriously.