Chapter 26

My ears perked at the noise.
Even through the marrow grass bristling against each other I heard it.
A whisper, whether it was carried on the wind or if it were coming from just over the dune, I didn't know.
My feet still sunk a little in the sand when I rose up slowly, turning my head to listen even harder but again it was nothing but the sounds of the waves behind me and the grass moving.
But I heard it, I was sure of it.
I contemplated running back to the house but then if it were someone, they'd just follow.
So, I did something stupid, I edged my way closer to the sound. It was gone now and everything was naturally calm except I felt anything but.
I tried to be quiet, to edge my way up in a way that were no different from the gentle brushes made with the wind around me.
Fallen wasn't aware and Lucas had already gone so it was me on my own, and the best option I had was to get them before they got me.
"Mill brook farm." I heard it again and this time there was no mistaking it, they were coming for our house. And I didn't think they were going to be looking for anything good.
I stilled again, not focussing my eyes so I could listen in further. Listening for the sound of another person but all I can hear is the sound of a crackle. I presumed a radio, and it cut out and someone spoke into it.
"I'm on the west side, by the beach." I needed to let Fallen know,
The radio crackled again, and someone spoke in response to whoever was in front of me.
"Westside check, east?"
I should have expected this, and we did a little but not this soon. We thought we'd have more time, but we should have known we wouldn't get a lot, we should have known.
I clamber the rest of the way over before sliding carefully down the other side, hiding under the high foliage. Until I see them, him, a person in front of me who was quiet as the rest of the people made their checks, this was the time for me to get back. I heard him moving, the sand moving against each other even harder as he neared me.
I instantly ducked a little more when I saw his darkened form moving in front of me appear, I waited.
It felt like a lifetime waiting for him to pass me, holding my breath and shaking on the unsteady ground.
My knees started to ache the longer I hovered there.
He was wearing heavy gear, a bulletproof black vest with heavy combat clothes which were thick and warm. It only made him seem even bigger. But the thing that had my eyes widening was the size of the gun in his hands, it was pointed ahead of him but slack in his hands whilst he walked through.
Its steel wasn't clean and sharp, it's been well used. I was so close I could see the slight scratch marks on the outer barrel, it was hanging limp now towards the floor, but it passed right by my face as he walked. His feet crunching through the ground, sinking and twisting a little as he moved on. I wasn't breathing anymore in case he heard me, holding my breath, and trying to stay as still as possible. My hand grasped hard at the handle of my knife now, tucked into the holder by my waist, its carved edges jutting into the palm of my hand like a welcome hug, providing me with the backup I needed right now. I wanted to edge it out, but I feared it would make noise when I did, so I kept the firm grip on it ready.
He took one and then another step away, there was no one else with him so I took my chance, leaping forward with knife in hand.
It dug deep into his forearm, the gun fell from his hand immediately giving me the chance to kick it away. The butt of the gun only peeking out from the sandy mud and the overgrowth. He shouted out loudly, my hand covering his mouth when I kicked him in the back of his knees and he fell to the ground in front of me.
I felt callous and cold, twisting the knife a little before wrenching it out and bringing it to his neck. I played with the tip of it against his exposed skin, pricking it every so often.
"Don't move." I felt deadly and if he thought for a second I was going to go easy on him, he had another thing coming. After every other scout sent after us, I knew better than anyone that they didn't play fair.
With his arm damaged from the knife, when I moved him into a chokehold there wasn't much he could do. His neck was trapped against my inner elbow as I tightened it around him, and my other hand came behind him to hold the back of his head. His hand gripped onto my arm but he was lost before he had the chance to try and it didn't take long for him to collapse to the floor unconscious.
With my adrenaline high, and with heavy breaths I pulled his radio from his belt along with the rest of his weapons that he didn't get a chance to use on me.
I had to get back and warn Fallen, we needed to get out of here and fast.
I grabbed the gun from the floor and used its strap to throw it over my shoulder. My legs burned at me when I sprinted up the bank, sliding down the other side till my feet hit the sand onto the beach, running to the house as fast as I possibly could.
I didn't hear anything else from the radio and that only made me run faster, at least we had a chance now.
The west side was open for us to escape if we were quick enough.
I slammed the door open when I got there, my breaths coming out in pants when I shouted through the house.
"Fallen!"
I ran to the back room where I'd left him fixing the guns.
He didn't even have to question me when I busted through the door, quickly grabbing the finished gun in his hand and grabbing whatever he could in the room.
"I've taken out the man on the west side of here. We can use that as our way out." I picked up another belt and clipped that around my waist before grabbing whatever magazines I could. I finally picked up a glock, holding it in my hand and checking the bullets in it.
"What have they been saying?" He nodded to the radio on my belt and I glanced down but shook my head.
"Nothing yet," I said and that only made him move out of the room ahead of me, grabbing my arm and pulling me along behind him in a rush of curse words.
"Well, that's not good."
He runs out the door, I follow quickly keeping tight on his heels. "How do you think they found us?"
"I don't know, and I don't want to stay to find out!" But we were both worried just as much as each other that it could be because they found Lucas. And if it were that, then we didn't stand a chance.
The thought only made my stomach clench uncomfortably that all I could do was move faster and follow him through the overgrowth as we raced for the beach.
That crackle sounded from my belt again as my feet hit the sand. The minute the voice came over the radio my gut dropped painfully.
"West is down."
Shit.
They knew where we were and at least one person was close by, if he'd just seen the guy then they'd only just be over the bank to my right. Only just there and I knew he'd hear us running, the metal clunked against each other too much against our bodies, it was too loud.
The panic made the sandy ground harder to run through. It felt like we were moving in slow motion, we weren't getting anywhere.
The minute we got off the sand at the other end of the small beach it felt like we were flying through the grass, almost tripping and falling on the sodden mud and uneven ground.
"WEST SIDE! WEST SIDE!"
His shouts echoed through the radio but that could only just be heard against the real-life shouts from him to my right. We pushed harder and I was losing Fallen through the grass, we should come out the other end any minute.
I was jumping over drops in the ground, avoiding the thick sandy mud where it got too deep, the guns and clips clanging against each other so loud there was no way he didn't know where I was.
It was a case of outrunning him now.
I couldn't see Fallen ahead anymore having climbed up the numerous hills faster than me, and that scared the hell out of me because it meant I was trailing behind and he could be gaining on me and -
The ground hit hard, his body slamming into my side so harsh it winded me. I tried clambering my legs out from under him, grunting as I adjusted my legs and flipped us over. My knee dug into his neck before he could stop me and I looked down at his clean-shaven face, almost white-blonde hair peeking out from under his hat and a set of hazel eyes staring undeterred right back at me.
I was breathing so quickly I don't think I'm even taking on oxygen at this point. His hand reached up and grabbed a braid firm in his hand,  yanking down at the same time he bucked his hips, flipping us over again in the mud and grass.
This time he managed to land a punch into my face and that's when his hands clasp around my neck, tightening roughly against my skin, choking me.
Except I knew what to do now.
I quickly shifted my body and did the movement that Fallen had me go over so many times before, my legs over his head before twisting to bring him down, effectively removing his hands from my throat. He landed hard leaving his arm to my advantage between my legs so all I had to do was buck my hips and that's when the crunch of his bone sounded.
He shouted out in agony and I took that time to kick three times into his jaw and head with my boot.
It's only when he becomes silent that I can even breathe. Taking in big gulps of air to get my senses back before scrambling up and looking down at his quiet body.
But Fallen wasn't anywhere, I thought he'd at least come back when he heard the scuffle, but he didn't which only made me worry more.
I'd shout his name, but I didn't know where anybody else was and how many there were.
"STAY DOWN"
Ahead of me.
A guttural angry shout that sounded so loud, it felt like it hit me right in the chest because it came from where Fallen had been heading.
I flipped the gun over my shoulder, removing the safety and leant into the butt of it, keeping it poised and ready in front of me just like Fallen told me to. But this wasn't a practice run and that shout was meant for Fallen. I knew it.
My feet moved before I really thought of it, climbing the small rise as a frustrated shout erupted from ahead and this time, it was definitely Fallen's and it didn't sound like he was doing that well.
I finally step down the hill, the grass gone now. Instead it spanned into an open field again, clouds looming above us with the wind growing ever stronger.
"Step the fuck away from him." My vicious tone made them look up, Fallen shouting angrily at them but they had him down on the ground already with all their weight.
"Elbina, no! Get out of here now!" He grunted when one of them smacked him over the head, the side of his cheek hitting the ground below him.
I wasn't about to run without him.
"I SAID GET AWAY FROM HIM!" It hurt my throat to scream it at them, they did nothing but smile at me even when I took another step forward and Fallen's attempts at throwing them off did nothing.
His hands were already cuffed together behind his back and his face had been hit a good couple of times. Blood dripping from his nose slowly, trickling down onto his cheek as he looked at me in genuine fear.
"GO!" He shouts again.
It constricts something chronic in my chest, aching all the way into my belly. He can't be afraid because then I should be afraid.
And we can't be caught because I didn't run for this long to be caught now.
And how was I supposed to run? Where was I supposed to go now!
They're still holding him down, daring me to do something. Fallen's still struggling against them and he's still shouting at me to run.
He should know I wouldn't do that.
They didn't think I could shoot them; I wasn't sure either.
I couldn't do it again, kill, and I don't think I could now.
But I don't need to kill them to get them off him.
Before they could do anything else, I squeezed on the trigger and the shot rang out so loud in my ears that it felt like the eardrum burst a little from the pressure. He fell off of Fallen and that gave him the advantage to kick off the other man and just as he was scrambling to get back onto Fallen, I squeezed again.
He fell back screaming in agony, the blood seeping from his bullet wound in his leg. The other gripping onto his shoulder in pain as well, I ran over and used my left hand to help Fallen to his feet. My gun still heavyset on them as they glared right back at me.
"HOW MANY OTHERS?" I screamed at them but Fallen already seemed defeated.
"Too many." He sunk to his knees again beside me and let out such a pained and defeated sigh that it had me flitting my head to his in rage.
"SHUT UP!" I glared at Fallen beside me, why was he saying that?
"Elbina. Look around." No.
I heard the rustling from behind me, the sounds of feet moving and equipment jostling against bodies. Fallen's head dropped in submission but my jaw grit painfully in denial.
"They've got us." NO!
I knew what he was thinking that maybe the help would come in time. But I didn't hold out much hope.
This was a death sentence.
But I lifted my head and that's when I saw the guns pointed at us, so many of them that I couldn't see the faces behind them and the more I turned my body and looked around me the more I saw.
This can't be happening.
We were so close.
I wanted to cry so much in frustration and fear and goddamn how unfair this all was.
They moved in closer, professionals that had their eyes solely set on us, moving in such an effortless way.
"Drop the gun!" Someone spoke from in front of me, but I couldn't tell who in the sea of guns.
I refused, lifting it up higher and preparing myself again.
"Drop it now or we will shoot." I held it steady, Fallen's shouts seemingly only mutterings in my ears.
"Elbina! They have us either way." I shook my head in response, breathing out shaky. "At least if you go easy it won't be as painful."
They only drew closer and I shouted at him. "How do you know!?"
His shoulders sank even in my peripheral, shuddering out a breath before speaking. "Because I've been taken by them before." I desperately wanted to turn my head to him, how the hell was I just finding out now!? How could he hold that back from me?
"What!?" It came out in such a harsh tone that I could see him flinching away from me almost. When the man in front started getting more agitated about my gun, counting down from five, Fallen lost his cool and turned his head to me in anger.
"Just listen to me and drop the fucking gun!" I almost didn't but when the man hit two I dropped it.
Because I trusted Fallen somehow,even when he just brought in another detail he had hidden from me, I still trusted that his decision was best.
It didn't take long when I dropped my gun to the ground for them to ambush us and before I could say anything more my head was being pressed down into the muddy ground. My hands cuffed behind me and all I could do was grumble in pain when they almost ripped my shoulder out of its socket pulling me up.
A man walked either side of me, holding me still whilst they had a hold of Fallen in the same way. Not a single pull I tried made a difference and it didn't take long before they started dragging us forward, practically lifting me off the ground as I struggled against them.
Towards the road, over the lip of the low rise and there they were. The vans lined up along the side of it, a little further down from the turning before you get onto the track for mill brook farm.
We would have run right into them on the road.
They slammed me up against the side of the van, my head ricocheting off of it with a bang. My belts clipped off of me and passed to others leaving me in only my clothes, utterly defenceless.
"HEY!" I shouted across to the men who smacked Fallen against the van again, his groans of pain didn't stop them from repeating it. I struggled in my hold which only made the guy behind me grab my braids and pull hard, effectively stopping me from doing much else but watch as they gave Fallen one or two more harsh blows. My lip wobbled as I saw his knees shake a little trying to hold up his own bodyweight, I knew he was relying heavily on the men to keep him up now.
"Long time no see Fallen." His eyes widened in fear and with that the swarm of flies grew in my belly, biting at my insides in pain.
The guy walked up to him slowly, enjoying every single moment.
He had greying hairs dotted along his hairline, but the muscles still protruded from his long-sleeved combat shirt, his fist gripped the back of Fallen's hair and pulled him backwards.
"We've got a lot to catch up on, haven't we?" They pushed my head further into the van when I tried to fight back, hating the way the blood drained from Fallen's face and any sense of strength dissipated.
The needle jabbed into his arm and the man pushed in the liquid, at first nothing seem to happen. The man leaning forwards and smiling even more.
"Believe me Fallen, I'm just as excited as the last time we had a little chat, it's been too long."
"Nothing's changed." Fallen's words seem a little slurred and I watch as the man's head shakes, his eyes catching mine.
"A lot's changed, I'm less patient and your sister isn't so little anymore. She's making me feel old, you know."
"Stay away fr-"
"Tired?" He mused, I hate him. 
"Stay away -" His words fell short again, eyes closing as his whole body sank into the hold of the men.
I could only stare wide-eyed down at him, breathing harshly against the clench in my gut as they pulled him up and moved him around the back of the van. His entire body limp in their hold before they throw him around like a ragdoll.
He turned to me, smiling as if nothing was wrong. His finger waggling in my face and even if I wanted to, I wouldn't be able to veer backwards because they were still putting heavy pressure on my head.
"Who are you!?" I growled out, growing even angrier when he chuckled at me.
"Nathanial." My eyes widened and now I knew the reason behind Fallen's reaction.
"He told you I assume, the Boogeyman of his nightmares I'd imagine."
"Not so much, a weak corrupt man doesn't have the backbone to be a boogeyman if you ask me." I bite at him, hissing through my clenched teeth.
His eyes narrow, almost in humour. "You'll want to get rid of that attitude quickly if I were you...You're not in a position to be joking around."
"As long as it pisses you off. I'll be the biggest bitch I can be... just for you." They smack my head against the van again, forcing the groan from my lips.
His fingers gripped my jaw, his large hand squeezing the skin so hard it already felt like bruising.
He was handed another syringe which he quickly plunges into my arm with so much force it twisted a little in my arm, the pain made me suck in a breath, but he only smiled.
"I don't doubt you'll put up a fight, but you only have to look at your brother's reaction to me... to know I don't mess around." The liquid cooled in my arm as he pushed down, expelling it all into my muscle leaving my head to feel fuzzy not a few moments later.
"Let's go, everyone!" My body was hoisted up and thrown in the back of the van, my shoulder hitting the floor painfully and my wrists already ached against the restraints.
I hadn't seen Lucas and he certainly didn't mention him.
Maybe we did have a chance, if only he gets there quick enough.
We were supposed to get away from here, lead them the opposite way to Lucas.
I want to be more scared, frightened even, but the drugs are kicking in and it makes my muscles all relaxed. My mind starts to become numb when I twist my head to the side, eyeing the heaped body beside mine. Just as quiet and still.
My blurry eyes could just make Fallen out, his chest rising rhythmically up and down in silence. Men jostled either side of us on the boxes lining the sides of the van, armed and chatting animatedly like they didn't just take us hostage.
Fallen had been taken by them before and he's still here, surely, I can have some form of hope?
Hope that we could do this.
That maybe we could survive this?
"Sleep already." A foot came at my face so fast I couldn't react but it worked all the same when it stung against my cheekbone. I let my head drop to the ground, the cold metal flooring helped ease the sting on my face.
My eyes finally shut against the pain and I allowed myself to feel the drug working its way through my system, lulling me into unconsciousness.