Nothing's changed

Since that day, I had made sure to avoid Wyatt at any and all costs. It was surprisingly hard now because wherever I turned, he was there.

I was also seriously bummed that I had to let my book go in order to stay away from him, but no way was I going to talk to him after what happened.

Of course, my friends found out about what happened and kept teasing me about it.

I also hadn't returned his jersey yet, and it was getting on my nerves. It was just sitting there, on my study table in my room, fucking up my ambiance.

It smelled really strong, but not overwhelming, almost intoxicating (I low-key liked it). That day, when I had gotten home and taken off the jersey, his fucking scent wouldn't leave my shirt and it just pissed me off even further.

"He's fucking everywhere." I grumbled to Jamey as we walked together to our next class, which we had together.

"Who?" She asked obliviouslly as she fixed her short skirt.

"You know who." I said, adjusting the strap of my backpack.

She looked up, and just at that moment — as if she had called him with her eyes — Wyatt turned to look at us, his intense gaze looking right at me.

"Oh, him." She said nonchalantly, turning her attention back to her skirt.

Before I met him, I had literally never seen neither hide nor hair of his, but since that day, he was in my face, every where I went, like a fucking shadow. It was really getting annoying.

Even though my body was able to avoid him, my eyes weren't.

I averted my eyes as quick as possible, grabbed Jamey's hand and walked faster.

At break, I found Jody and Lissa at our table already. I sat down next to Lissa, but didn't say anything.

"Hey, Les." Jody said when she was done talking and I nodded at her.

"I was told to give you this." Lissa said, taking my attention as she slid a small baby blue gift bag over to me.

I looked at the bag skeptically, then looked up at Lissa who was now focused on the food in front of her.

Girl sure loves her food.

"What is it?"

"Open it."

"Who is it from?"

She took a huge bite of her burger, but still managed to say, "Open it." with a full, ass mouth.

I looked at her with skeptical eyes, but opened the little bag none the less.

I looked inside and I saw two books, one with a rather familiar cover. I took the familiar one out and held the book up: Clockwork Prince, the title read.

It was the same book I was reading before I was so rudely interrupted, but it also wasn't the book at the same time.

Well... It's not my book, that's for sure. I thought to myself.

The cover was still fresh and stiff, not even a single scratch or tear. I hadn't even opened it yet, but I could smell that 'new book' smell.

I should've just put the book back in the bag right then and there, but I didn't. I flipped through the book, letting the pages move fast as the smell invaded my senses.

"Drugs for nerds." I heard Jody say and I giggled.

"What?" I asked with a smile and she shrugged, trying not to let out a laugh.

I found something in between the pages. An envelope to be precise.

I opened it, besides the little voice in the back of my head telling me not to.

Curiosity is a bitch.

I took out a small piece of paper from inside.

"What even was the point of an envelope?" I asked myself out loud as I unfolded the paper.

"Sorry I didn't give you your book back sooner. I'm sure you can already tell that this isn't exactly your book, but your original one got so damaged that I couldn't have fixed it even if I tried, and I wasn't going to give you back a ruined book. It was my fault that it got so messed up, so I just thought that I should buy you another one, and another book to say I'm really, truly, extremely sorry (I hope you don't already have that one, I only realised after buying the books that you might actually have it) Anyways, please except my apology."

He ended the 'letter' by leaving his number at the bottom of the paper. I folded the paper up again and put it back in the book.

I looked back in the bag and took out the second book.

Clockwork Princess, I didn't have that book yet and was going to buy it after finishing the first one. I guess he saved me both the trouble and the money.

"Why are you smiling like that?" Corey asked as she sat down opposite me. I didn't realise that I was smiling until she pointed it out, and I immediately frowned.

"Too late for that now." Lissa commented as they all laughed.

"She got two books and a piece of paper from that Wyatt guy."

"Really? That's what you're smiling about?" Corey asked, unbelieving, with a mocking smirk and I rolled my eyes, taking a chip from Lissa and throwing it at Corey, who dodged it easily, since I'm really bad at throwing.

"No. I'm smiling 'cause I don't have to buy this one anymore." I said, showing her the second book and she shook her head with an amused smile.

"You're such a nerd."

"Shut up." I said, and at that moment, I suddenly realised that there were eyes on me the whole time.

I looked up and looked around to find the person, and as my luck would have it, there was Wyatt, with his eyes on me and a small smile on his lips.

I turned back to the girls and decided to ignore him instead.

I hope he doesn't think that this changes anything.