1

3 years prior to Charles's arrival

I never thought that I would find my sisters in this town. On the 6th of December, 1961, I found my way to a little diner named "Stella's." I was in a tattered up dress with shoes that had holes in them from my journey here. I walked into the diner and a woman behind the counter said "Oh dear, what happened?" She came up to me and put her arm around me. I said "They left m-me." The woman said "Who did darling?" "My parents." I looked up at her with fear in my eyes. "They left me with a note that says "Find Constance."" I paused. "Who is Constance?" She looked at me in a concerning way.

I noticed that everyone was looking at me in a very strange way. The woman kindly said "Follow the road up the hill and hurry. It's getting dark and will start raining soon." I nodded and quickly exited the diner. I followed the direction of where she told me to go. I walked up a little more of a hill, and found a beautiful house. I walked to the gate and saw that it was locked. But the chain was just around the bars so I could easily get through. I walked up to the front door and knocked twice. I heard arguing and then a girl who looked about 11 years old opened the door. She said quickly "We don't allow visitors. Go away." Then shut the door. I said "Wait! Is Constance here?" She opened the door back up again and said "What do you want? Who are you?" I said "My name is Beatrice. Beatrice Whitford. I was told by my Parents to find Constance. I need help please." She looked around to see if anyone else was with me and said "Come in. Come in."

I stepped inside and I saw another woman enter the room. She said "Oh you poor thing. What happened?" I saw her bright blue eyes, they seemed so familiar. I said "Are you Constance?" She nodded her head and said "Let's get you cleaned up little one." I followed the woman and she led me upstairs. She said "let me draw you a bath. What's your name little one?" I quietly said "Beatrice Whitford. I was just told by my parents to find Constance." She smiled and said "Well, thats me." I immediately wrapped my small arms around her. She hesitated at first, but soon wrapped her arms around me as well. She said "Beatrice, why are you sad? You should be happy! There is nothing you should be afraid of." I smiled and she said "Alright now, Go ahead and get in the bath. Feel free to take as long as you like and I will see what clothes I have that may fit you ok?" I nodded again and said "Thank you Constance. This means the world to me." She smiled and gave me a slight nod before heading out.

I stripped out of my dirt covered clothes and slid into the warm water. I washed my body, and rinsed my hair. It felt so nice to have someone to care for you in times of need. It was getting kind of hot in the bathtub, so I carefully stepped out, and wrapped the soft, fluffy towel, and stepped out of the bathroom. I saw Constance. She was setting out some clothes and under garments for me on the dresser. She smiled and said "Here are some clothes for you. I am really hoping that these fit! There are undergarments under the dress, and after you get dressed, if you would like, I will help you with your hair." I smiled and said "That would be wonderful. Thank you so much again Constance. This really means the world to me." She smiled and said "Of course Beatrice! Don't worry about Marrycat. She will get used to you being around." My eyes widened and I said "you're letting me stay?"

"Well of course! It's the right thing to do!" I smiled and said "Thank you. Again and again and again a million times over:)" she nodded and said "You are very welcome. I will leave you to get dressed." She smiled and walked out of the room. I dried off and put everything on. The dress she gave me fit comfortably. It was a baby blue floral dress, with a small white belt, and simple black ankle high boots. It was all very comfortable. I found Constance and she helped me with my hair. She did an updo of some up some down with a braid going down the middle. My hair was very long and wavy, so it wasn't very hard to brush thorough after it dried. After my hair was done, I was introduced to their uncle Julian. He was a very nice fellow. Sadly he lost his memory, and wasn't very fond of meeting new people. Almost every morning, I have to introduce myself again. But luckily that stopped after about 3 years. 3 long, wonderful years of waking up to breakfast, work, and two newfound sisters that love you. 3 years and I have learned so much. Although I am only 15 right now, I find time for everything in my day. I wake up at sunrise, and help Constance with breakfast. Then, I go to the study to read for my schooling along with my own ambitious curiosity. At 11:00 sharp, the grandfather clock rings, and it is time for lunch. Constance has declined my offers to help. I understand it's her lifestyle to help, but in my experience with her, she tends to overwork herself. She has an incredible way of hiding how she feels to be completely honest with you. Pure optimism. Smiles even in the worst of cenarios.

I cope in a different way. Probably a much less healthy way. I don't talk. Selective Mutism is what I have. Due to a triggering time in the last 2 years I have been with the Blackwoods, I only talk to the three people I live with. Well, when I am asked a question but only answer in one to three words. Or when I say thank you to Constance for lunch. Situations like that. That first day I came into town sparked interest in a citizen of the small town we live in. Almost like an obsession but in a less glorified way. It scared me to the point of not speaking like I had mentioned earlier. The event that triggered this behavior is quite a long story. Might I say, It doesn't end well...

For him...