2

PRESENT DAY

There is an explanation for my muteness. It started 1 year and 1 half after I had arrived at the Blackwood household. The day I walked into the diner called "Stellas," I met a man by the name of Jim Donnell. He looked to be about 3 years older than me, give or take. He was not very fond of the Blackwood sisters I soon found out. However, on my days to go into town, he seemed to have taken a light interest into me. I could tell something was off about him when he walked through the door. His aura is as bitter as the rind of a watermelon. There was much that I left out on the first day I arrived into that small village. That included the following:

Jim Donnell put his cigarette in my coffee.
Jim Donnell touched my hair.
Jim Donnell followed me to the gate of the Blackwood house.
Jim Donnell and his friend whistled when I walked.
Jim Donnell had said "Witches should burn!"
Jim Donnell had said "Come home with me and I'll take care of you."
Jim Donnell had said other things to convince me not to go to my rightful home. And now, Jim Donnell will do anything to get to me.

On the date of Thursday January 22, 1962, 1 year after my arrival, it was my day to go into town. That is what I have agreed when Constance had asked for my assistance in supplying the food. I walked to the market, despite all the stares, and looks I received. I couldn't focus on that. I had to remember what I was told to get from the marketplace. I repeated the list in my head over and over again.

Milk
Eggs
Flour
Basil (For tomato Basil soup! My personal favorite.)
Tomatoes (Also for the Tomato Basil soup.)

Merricat reminded me to return the library books we checked out last week. I always seemed to forget the books. After the library, then I would go to the Market. I really did not want to have to pay for unnecessary book fines. As I walk into the library, the inaudible whispers suddenly became silent when I step in the doors. All eyes were on me. I still have a hard time deciphering why on earth people are scared of the Blackwood sisters. They are harmless! Why can't people understand that?

I slowly made my way to the return desk. I had to check out this weeks school books as well. Constance has written down the books needed for the lessons she is giving me.

"Hello, Beatrice." The woman at the desk said irritably.

"Good morning. I'm here to return these books." I said quietly. She pursed her lips and took the books from my hands a little too aggressively. She put the books on the shelf of returns, and returned to her book herself. Constance has told me to pick two of my favorite books that I have read. Classics had always been my favorites. Charles Dickens, Jane Austen, Herman Melville. My absolute favorite being Jane Austen. A woman of power I believe.

I sigh and start walking in the direction of Jane Austen's classic novels. I looked up and down the shelves until I came upon the rigid spines of the old books. I came upon Jane Eyre, and Pride and Prejudice. My two favorite novels by her.

Romance alone is my favorite genre of book as well. It makes my heart flutter with an overwhelming feeling of passion, and want. It sure makes me miss my mother. But I can't think of that. I have Constance, and Merricat now!

I gently placed the books onto the desk and the librarian checked them out. She gave me 3 weeks. Usually the time for checked out items are only out for a week and a half. I don't want to assume anything of course, but the way she hesitated when she put down the number 1, then quickly erased it got me thinking. Maybe she just didn't want to see me again? I do not know the answer to that question. Nor is it a question I'd want to know that answer.

I didnt think about it too much longer. I had a list to remem- wait. I forgot that I wrote the list down. I am a little dim-witted when it comes to sensory details. I guess I just forgot to check my coat pockets before I left home. With the knowledge of the looks, I kept my head down and put the list of food items on the counter. The cashier read out

"Eggs."
"Milk"
"Flour"
"Tomatoes"
"Basil."

He looked up from the list and said blankly "Is there anything else?" I shook my head and quickly took the bag from the store attendant, and walked over to Stella's. It was my home away from home. It was a safe haven for me and Merricat, both. I looked through the window and made eye contact with Stella. She recognized me and smiled! I took that as an ok to come into the diner. I sat my things down on the bar, and sat down. Stella came over with my usual coffee with sugar and cream just how I like it. I said "Stella, how is it that you met me as an afraid girl, and still take care of me when i'm away from Constance and Merricat?" She smiled and replied "Honey, there is no excuse for people to leave a scared girl out in the rain. I'm here to help you Bee. I hope you know that." She reached for my hands and I said "Thank you Stella." She gave my hand a squeeze and went back to her everyday work.

I heard the bell above the red door ding. I heard his dreaded voice. Memories of fear came into my brain as I stirred my coffee and took a small sip. "Hey! Stella!" she looked up and smirked "Hello boys. What would you like today Jim? Bobby?" They both sat down right next to me. God. Why right next to me?

"Well, what do we have here?" Stella noticed my uncomfort and said to Jim, "Leave her be Jim, she didn't do anything to hurt you." He chuckled and said "What? I'm not bothering her. I'm simply makin' conversation with the newest edition of the Castle on the Hill." I looked away from him and he said "Bumble bee, you gotta look at the people you conversate with. Ain't that right?" I still didn't turn to him. Stella said to me "Hey, you should probably get going. It's nearly 12:00 PM." I nodded and gathered my things. I stood up and walked out of the door trying to get as far away from Jim and Bobby as I can.

Today is where it all went to hell. Where not another word would be able to come out of my mouth for a very long time. This moment in time, when Jim Donnell will have a reputation to be remembered. This moment in time, when Jim Donnell will be thanked for what he did to a Blackwood sister.

Walking faster every footstep I hear, does not change the fact that Jim had followed me. I looked behind me to see him gaining speed. I began to run. I dodged people, weaving in and out of groups of people on bikes, feet, and cars. I was relieved when I made it to the road leading to the locked gate. I made it no more than 5 steps only to be taken from behind with a strong arm around my waist and a calloused hand over my mouth, muffling any sound coming from my throat. I struggled to get out of the grip and was able to make us topple over. That didn't stay long. When I tried standing up, I was pulled to the ground and under the strong grip of Jim.

I stopped moving completely. He pinned my arms to the ground just above my head and said in my ear "Come on darlin'. You know you don't want to go back into that house. It's full of witches! Come with me. I will show you what living life is like." I shook my head and struggled again. He said "Oh. Sh sh sh sh." He pried open my mouth and made me swallow a very tangy substance. It stung the back of my throat as it made its way to my stomach.

My eyes stung with tears and I quietly said "What did you do to m-me?" I was getting drowsy. I wasn't able to see clear. Everything was a blur of events. I felt my body being lifted into muscular arms. I was in a stare of paralysis. I looked up to see Jim that was carrying me. He said "It's going to be ok Beatrice. Im going to protect you." I shook my head and said in a slur of words "N-no. Pl-lease! Let me go!" He held my body tighter against his, and he looked down one last time before taking me to the... Blackwood house?