Chapter Two: Like Mother Like Daughter

Chapter Two

Like Mother like Daughter

Sophie and Hort walked them towards the glistening gates of the school. Sophie pulled a stylish pink handkerchief and wiped her eyes.

"Well we will see you before you know it!" Sophie sniffed histrionically, burying her head in Hort's shoulder.

"Oh, will you let it out," Filip groaned, rolling his eyes as Sophie began to sob uncontrollably.

"My mascara will run!" Sophie fretted, blowing her nose on her handkerchief.

"Don't worry Mother, you look beautiful either way," Anastasia promised, smiling at her Mother.

"Oh, Anastasia, my sweet girl," she cooed, stroking Anastasia's face. "I will miss you so much!" Anastasia embraced her Mother lovingly, looking up at her Father.

"No messing around with boys while you're gone." He warned, dead serious. Anastasia giggled.

"I won't promise anything," Anastasia smirked.

Her Mother pushed her away from their hug and took by the shoulders, staring wide-eyed.

"Anastasia Lavina of Woods Beyond! You take that back young lady!"

Anastasia rolled her eyes.

"Well Mother, Father, we have to go," Filip informed, grabbing her hand.

"Oh, alright then. We'll see you soon! Sooner than you think!" Sophie smiled, waving goodbye as Filip pulled her into the gates.

"Love you Father!" Anastasia called.

"Love you my flower!" Her Father yelled back, cradling a lugubrious Sophie.

"Goodbye my darlings!" Sophie cried, wiping her eyes.

Filip gently led Anastasia towards the Evil Castle, before a fierce grey wolf stopped them in their tracks.

He stood on his hind legs and wore a red hat with a peacock feather sticking up in the front, his pointy ears on either side. A tailcoat also hugged his strange form. Also red-rimmed, with gold buttons down his chest. His sleeves were edged with thick gold rope complete with epaulet pads on each side of his shoulders. His face was pulled into a sour frown as he examined the siblings

"Why didn't you sprout on the school grounds?" He sneered, gruffly gesturing to their luggage. Anastasia and Filip passed him their trunks, withdrawing their hands as quickly as they could.

"Mother and Father wanted to say goodbye," Filip replied smoothly, his voice stumbling slightly at the mention of his parents.

The wolf rolled his eyes, scoffing to himself about weak-minded adults and weaker-minded youth.

"This way," he grumbled, stalking towards the barbed gates that lead to the school for Evil. Anastasia and Filip shared an apprehensive glance before hurrying to follow him.

The castle's renovations still remained from when her Mother had become dean. Anastasia had heard about the castle dozens of times from her brother and Mother, but in person, it seemed much more magnificent.
Gleaming obsidian spires stretched into the sky, spearing dark thunderclouds with their needle sharp sharp points. Blood red breezeways connected the turrets together, which morphed into stony emerald pythons that curled up the inky stones. Technicolor lamps hung from stained glass windows which depicted poison apples and fearsome witches in dominant poses.

The glorious castle was truly the work of her Mother. Anastasia felt her lips curl into a beaming smile as she examined the castle with pride. This was her home now.