Chapter Twenty One: Songs and Swords

"They're early!" Anastasia hissed.

She felt her hand grab Caleb's wrist as she dragged him into the Theater of Tales along with all the other anxious students.

"I wonder who would have sent them," Caleb said eyeing Clarrisa darkly.

Anastasia looked up at Caleb and shook her head.

"One day when this is all over you have a big story to tell," she let go of his wrist and trailed in front of him. He ran to catch up, grabbing her waist.

"Calm down," he said, eyebrows furrowed.

"How am I supposed to be calm huh?" Anastasia questioned taking his hand off her waist with great force.

Caleb grabbed the back of her neck when no one was looking and pulled her back to him.

"You watch the way you speak Anastasia," he sneered.

Anastasia gulped as his fingers intertwined with hers once again.

"Coming through!" a voice called.

Anastasia felt her body thump onto Caleb as she looked up to see who had pushed her.

"Watch where you're going Filip," Caleb said, helping Anastasia steady herself.

He was most obviously d.runk, the buttons on his suit had been undone and his blonde hair was a mess. Ruffled and unkept. On his arm was Mariposa, she wore a sly smile on her face and looked Anastasia up and down. Anastasia gave her a sarcastic smile as she studied her dress. It was a deep sea green with lace gloves matching the dress. Her hair had been swept up into a high ponytail pearls dripping from her ears.

"Nice costume," Anastasia commented.

Mariposa clenched her jaw and looked up to Filip. He didn't give her a second glance staring at Anastasia. Anastasia rubbed her arm and looked away.

"Mariposa?" She heard a voice yell.

They all whipped around to see Clarrisa, her alluring face had been taken over by a look of pure shock.

"Yes?" Mariposa said, breaking away from Filips' arm and placing her hand on her hips.

Clarrisa walked up to face Mariposa, she stood so close to her you could see how the flames of her eyes slowly evaporated when she saw Caleb in the corner of her eye. Clarrisa retained her stature and cleared her throat.

"Mariposa, why haven't you joined us tonight?" Clarrisa breathed.

"And why should I have gone with you?" Mariposa said, leaning into her.

"Because you are a part of my court," Clarrisa replied, the seriousness of her face never breaking.

"Pfft, you seem to have replaced me pretty quick," Mariposa nodded to Lavina at the far side of the room.

Clarrisa shook her head obviously confused.

"Lavina, she has always been with-."

"Save it," Mariposa said, putting a finger to her lips.

Anastasia watched Mariposa's actions towards Clarrisa. The way she carried herself, the way the insults floated out of her mouth as if nothing. It reminded Anastasia a lot of herself. Mariposa glanced at Anastasia quickly. Then Anastasia knew she was trying to impress Filip. She laughed to herself. Pathetic. The grand chandelier of Goods foyer dinged and the teens all turned to the doors of the theater.

"Let's go lovely," Filip said, grabbing Mariposa.

Anastasia saw Mariposa place a hand in Filips hair and ran her fingers through it. He let out a slight moan that turned into a laugh. Anastasia felt her lips curl in disgust. Clarrisa gave one last glance to Caleb and scurried into the Theater of Tales. She saw Merlin trail after them like a sad little puppy. Caleb and Anastasia took their seats on Evil's side which had been decorated with red, and black decorations. Black streamers hanging from the ceiling, red tinsel lining the seats. They took a seat at the back of the room, Anastasia crossed her arms and slumped in her seat, until Caleb pulled the collar of her cape up.