Chapter Nineteen: Promises

Chapter Nineteen:

Promises

Caleb slammed the door of room 66 open with a bang.

"What the hell was that!" He yelled.

Anastasia turned to him, eyes still burning with tears.

"I wasn't just gonna let her push me around!"Anastasia defended.

Caleb took a seat slowly on a black armchair at the other side of the room and rubbed his creased forehead.

"What will they think now huh? When they see that dagger with your name engraved in it?" Caleb scorned.

"What do they expect from me Caleb, to carry around a basket of flowers," Anastasia spat.

She could still taste the blood on her tongue from the night before. Sweet, in a sick way. She rubbed her teeth on the cut drawing blood from the wound, staining her teeth. She paced across the room, her thoughts swirling. Caleb looked her up and down, and frowned. A puff of green smoke poured from his green finger surrounding Anastasia. The cloud disappeared and she was back in her old uniform. She caught a glimpse of herself in the black-rimmed mirror. The tiny black horns were still on her head, decorated with gold chains, beaded in emeralds.

"Too much," Caleb laughed.

"I want her dead," Anastasia said, still studying herself in the mirror.

"I want to see her body lifeless on that ballroom floor. With no hope of coming back, no hope of hurting me any longer."

"You get crazier and crazier everyday Anastasia," Caleb mused.

Anastasia turned to him, fury burning in her eyes.

"You made me like this!"

"Of course I did Anya, I wouldn't be here if I didn't. But then again you chose to follow along with my little," he paused and licked his lips, "plan."

"We have to do it. Now! Before I kill you first," Anastasia seethed, there was no humor in her tone.

"Calm yourself my darling. The Circus of Talent's is only a day away," Caleb said, unphased by Anastasia's distressing words.

"Don't call me darling, ever! That's what she called me," she choked through anger induced sobs.

Caleb stood up from the chair and made his way over to Anastasia and caught her hand as she paced around the room. Anastasia looked up at him and embraced him tightly.

"I hate to see you like this," he said and buried his head in her shoulder.

"This is what a true villain looks like," she said, gazing out the open window.

She felt Caleb's body move slightly against her's. His hand came from his pocket, a golden ring in his hand. Caleb lifted his head to face her and slipped the cold ring on her finger.

"Black swan gold," Anastasia realized.

She clenched her jaw as he turned the ring to show her name engraved in beautiful black calligraphy. 'Anastasia' it read.

"How did you get this," Anastasia said, trying to hide the fear in her voice.

"I have my ways," Caleb said slyly.

His body made its way to the ground and he was on his knees.

"Anastasia Lavina of Woods Beyond. I give you this ring, as a promise from me," he took her hand, "too you."

Anastasia stood up straighter and tried to meet his probing gaze. A Cheshire like smile curved onto his face.

"A promise that I will always love you, a promise that one day we will be happy," Caleb traced his fingers down Anastasia's smooth hand, sending butterflies into her stomach.

"Oh Caleb," Anastasia met his stance on the ground and wrapped her arms around his neck.

"Ah not so fast love, I need you to make me a promise first."

Anastasia looked at him puzzled. Caleb's expression suddenly turned evil and malicious, much like that night so long ago in the common room. He grabbed her neck and pulled her closer to him.

"I need you to promise that you will never leave me, and never love anyone else," he seethed.

"A promise that won't be hard to keep my Anya. If you go through with it."

"Caleb of course I-," Anastasia fumbled.

"Say it!" Caleb said, his words trailing into her ears, sending chills down her spine.

"I promise Caleb," Anastasia gulped.

"Wonderful my love," he whispered.

Caleb ran his fingers through her long hair and kissed her neck. Anastasia pushed away from Caleb.

"That's enough," she said, not looking at him.

"Yes," he chuckled and made his way back to the chair he had sat in. The pair sat in silence for hours on end, alone with their thoughts. But they both knew what the other was thinking.

"Soon this hell will be over."

...

A knock came on the door around 10:00. Not bothering to get up, Anastasia unlatched the door, her eyes glowing scarlet. The lock clicked revealing Ash, a scorn tightly in place. Her hair was dyed a dark red, matching the streaks she had in her white hair. A tattoo stuck out like a sore thumb on the patch of her white skin. 'Angel' it read, in blood-red ink. She had traded her original school uniform for fishnet tights and a puffy black baby doll dress. Ash tapped her boots on the black wood of the hallway.

"Get out of our room," Ash scoffed, placing neon green fingernails on her hips.

"Why should I? It was my mother's old room after all," Anastasia taunted.

Ash rolled her eyes, tired of this constant bickering.

"How many times do I have to say it? Get out."

Anastasia spotted tiny black flames dance on Ash's fingers in anger.

"No," Anastasia giggled.

"Anastasia, just leave us! You already have everything you want," Evangeline said shyly from behind Ash, towering over her.

"Hmm how about no," Anastasia smiled.

Ash picked up her flaming hand and threw a fireball at Anastasia but before it could hit her head Caleb stopped it with his glowing finger. Ash's eyes went wide with horror.

"Ah, look who it is! My favorite torture subject, Ash."

The fireball evaporated slowly in Caleb's hand. Ash stumbled back into the light of the hallway. "Don't be such a coward Ashy."

Ash gulped and her hand lit up again. Caleb opened his mouth with a smile, Anastasia saw Ash flinch sharply. She turned to Evangeline, seeming to be looking for an answer in this mess. Evangeline said nothing as Ash turned back to face Caleb. The hope was not lost yet for Ash of Bloodbrook.

"You'll get what you deserve one day Caleb of Jaunt Jolie," Ash mocked. "You both will."

"Tick tock tick tock," Caleb said eyeing Ash darkling.

Ash broke from her firm stance, but her gaze never broke from Caleb.

"Come on Ash let's go, Clarrisa will take us in for the night."

She shook her head at Anastasia, "I thought you were different."

"Me too," Anastasia said boredly.

She heard the crash of their footsteps as they thumped down the stairs. Anastasia turned to Caleb. He sat in his chair, his leg's crossed with a wicked smile on his face, making him look like an evil king. Then that would make Anastasia his queen. A queen who made a promise, she studied her ring. A promise she hoped she could keep.