Chapter Seventeen: What Would Have Happened?

Chapter Seventeen

What Would Have Happened?

"We can't do this."

Caleb broke away from Anastasia's vice like grip quickly, face flushed.

"I can't bring myself to make out with you in an abandoned dorm room, it wouldn't be right."

Face still red, he stood up and brushed himself off.

Anastasia adjusted the strap on her dress with a scowl.

"Don't you love me," she said, running her fingers through her hair seductively.

"I do it's just-," he looked away from her .

Just like her mother, her beauty could bewilder any man quickly and Caleb was no exception. He bustled out of the room biting his lip leaving Anastasia in the dark dorm, alone. She felt her breath grow heavy, as anger tinted her tan face.

What was happening? Caleb was supposed to be the one chasing after her! The what if's slowly creeped into her head again.

"What if there's  another girl? What if you're not pretty enough? What if you're just like your mother?"

Anastasia let out a high pitched scream and the voices stopped but the echos stayed. A laugh suddenly slipped out of Anastasia's lips, followed by an even louder sound. A cackle. Her fit like giggle grew louder and louder. She laughed because she knew she was scared, she laughed because she was stupid and foolish.

"God, I beg you mercy from the chains I wear!" She wailed, her laughter turning into sobs.

The malicious smile never leaves her face.

"For I am not ready to kill."

Anastasia placed her head to the cold ground confusion running through her veins. She banged her head on the black marble in agony drawing blood.

"Why, why, why!" she yelled in the darkness.

This time even the monsters were too scared to creep out of the shadows.

"You thought you were good," she said laughing loudly again.

"When you're just like mother," her voice became more high-pitched resembling a scream. She brang her knees to her chest and started to speak to herself more and more. It gave her a sense of comfort. At least someone was truly there for her. She placed her hands to her face, no warts. Only tears. She walked over on her knees to the mirror across the room of the dorm. She stared at herself, her eyes glowing scarlet in the darkness.

"Pretty," she mused, digging around in her pocket.

She pulled out her dagger, the scarlet colored rubies glowed, matching her eyes. Anastasia heard her body hit the floor, but felt nothing. Laying on the ground, she studied the dagger with a smile.

"You're going to die, you're going to die," she sang as she ran her tongue across the dagger.

She could taste the sweet blood as it bloomed in her mouth.

"No more good witch mother," Anastasia said, blood spilling from the corners of her lips.

She stabbed the dagger into the ground. Surprisingly it did not break, only leaving a deep whole in the marble floor. She caught a glimpse of her mother's lifeless body once again. She was filled with a sick sensation, as she gave more and more to the image in her mind. She could already feel it now. The rush. The freedom. She could see herself with Caleb, going places she could never even dream of with anyone else. But she knew she couldn't be happy for long the voices slithered into her ears once again. But this time ones she knew.