Chapter Twenty: Gifts

Chapter Twenty

Gifts

Early the next morning a knock came to the door of room 66. Anastasia stumbled out of her bed and smoothed her hair. She was suddenly flooded with realization. This was no ordinary morning. Today was the day of the Circus of Talent. Not sure how exactly she felt about this, Anastasia groggily pulled the door open to find Professor Ravana, a tight smile plastered on her face. Her hair was free from its usual constricting bun, flowing in the light draft of Malice's dark hallway. She readjusted a slight iris slightly astray from her billowing mop.

"Silly things," Professor Ravana muttered, smoothing her mint green dress, which hugged her non-existent figure, thin metal sleeves concealed her bulging purple veins. Anastasia looked her up and down in horror.

"Oh, silly me! I've forgotten why I'm even here in the first place!" Professor Ravana fumbled through a velvet coin bag clasped around her wrist, pulling out a strange pin. It was an elegant black swan, the words, 'Go evil' engraved on it's ebony neck.

"Happy Circus!" She chirped.

Anastasia rolled her eyes and took the pin from her bordely. Professor Ravan pursed her lips.

"Nice horns."

Anastasia clenched her jaw as Professor Ravana turned to leave, her finger igniting as she zapped her professor with a spell. A lion-like tail protruded from the bottom of her dress. Her professor whipped around to glare at Anastasia.

"For someone who never bothered to attend my lessons, you sure do know a good deal of magic." She traced her glowing finger down the banister on her way down a set of stairs, irises blooming instantly.

Nice party trick, Anastasia scoffed to herself.

She stomped back into her room, yelping as an icy hand grabbed her wrist.

"Let me go or I'll-."

"Anastasia calm down, it's just me," Caleb chuckled, letting her go.

"You scared the hell out of me!" Anastasia gasped with eyes wide.

"So sensitive," Caleb muttered.

Anastasia thought of sniping her own remark but she held her tongue. Why let a silly thing like this ruin her day?

"What will you do as a talent, Anya? I don't think beauty counts."

Anastasia turned away from him and faced the window, staring fixedly at the spot where the black sludge merged into the shimmering blue river surrounding Good.

"A petty thing like the circus of talents is no concern to me now, we have bigger things to worry about. Or at least, I do." Anastasia could feel her dagger scorch hot in her pocket.

"Why not go out with a bang before they all despise you for killing their beloved Sophie of Woods Beyond?" he asked dramatically, a small laugh escaping his lips.

"I've no time for your jokes Caleb. Just because this is a week of celebrations does not mean I will treat it as such."

Caleb flinched at the use of his full name. A loud bang came to the door and the pair jumped in surprise. Anastasia made her way over to the door warely and peaked her head through the small opening, her eyes widened when she saw who stood in front of her.

"Filip! What are you doing here?" Anastasia hissed.

"I'm only here for a moment sister, then I'll leave you to your..." he paused and eyed Caleb darkly. "Scheming."