Chapter Fifteen: The Right Thing

Chapter Fifteen

The Right Thing

Anastasia woke up in a room full of silence, a room full of darkness. You would think her eyes were closed but they were wide open. She felt as if she were in a haze. The trial was over, they had won. Anastasia gasped with realization. They had won, but the haze quickly pulled her back making her want to crawl back into the bed she had seemed to be placed on. Now they had bigger things to worry about, things that would dictate her life. She never forgot the goose's smiling face as Anastasia picked up the note from the black sludge of the egg that fateful day in henchman training. The words he had screeched in her head as he flew out of the room without a blink. She never forgot the twist in her stomach as Caleb pulled the dagger from her hands that late night, it seemed like so long ago. Years maybe, when in reality it was only weeks ago. Weeks since her fate had been changed, weeks since  she had fallen into the darkness. Anastasia looked around the pitch-black room as her eyes started to adjust. She heard a groan come from the other side room and then a laugh. She stumbled out of what she thought was a bed and made her way across the room looking for where the sound had come from. An arm suddenly pulled her into a lap. Anastasia wasn't startled by this act, too tired to scream. A low laugh came from the boy holding her. Anastasia could feel her feet dangle off of the chair he sat in, his arm still wrapped around her waist. His finger lit up blood-red revealing a smile in the darkness.

"Hi," he said.

Anastasia gave him a tired smile.

"Hi Cal," she said stroking his face.

Caleb shot a spell from his glowing finger and one by one candle's lit up with orange fire. Anastasia looked at Caleb in the light. His chestnut hair was slicked back a crown atop his regal head. His eyes were covered in gold and his lips had smears of red. Caleb wiped his face.

"Left a little mark," he smirked.

Anastasia blushed, assuming she had been kissing him but she couldn't remember for some reason. She turned and saw people dancing, people of all different colors, some pink, some green but all were striking. She saw many humans as well. Dressed in gowns and jewels so exquisite she didn't believe they were real. Caleb lifted Anastasia into the air and placed her down on the gold carpeted ground. A crown fell off of Anastasia's head and rolled into the hands of a woman with warm ivory skin and striking blue eyes matching Calebs. Caleb said nothing as he snatched the crown from the woman.

"Hand it over," Caleb snapped at the woman.

"Yes my king," The woman sneers

"Don't mind her," Caleb says, placing the crown on Anastasia's head. "She'll be gone soon enough."

Anastasia turned to see the woman again conversing with a man in all black a silver dagger at his hip. A man who looked exactly like her father. He spotted Anastasia and shook his head with what seemed to be disappointment, but Anastasia was not sure why. She wasn't sure why anything was happening or where she was. Anastasia spotted herself in the mirror behind the large throne she had been placed on. The crown on her head resembled the crown she had seen herself wear in the vision the blue heart stones showed her. The vision of what was supposed to be the future. A hand was suddenly placed on Anastasia's waist and she was turned to face the company of the party.

"We gather here to honor my beloved Anastasia, who every day shows us what it takes to have real courage," Caleb smiles.

"My king!" The court echoes back.

"We gather here today to welcome Anastasia as my wife."

"My queen!" They say gesturing towards me.

The company breaks into claps and cheers some people with tears forming in their eyes.

"Thank you for gathering with us on this historic night and may you be blessed," Caleb booms.

The crowd breaks off again and the loud buzz begins. Caleb turns back to Anastasia but looks away sharply as a loud bang comes from above them. The crowd gasps as bits and pieces of the painted ceiling start to fall. Anastasia's eyes went wide with confusion. Caleb turned back to her with a calm expression, there seemed to be no fear taking over his blue eyes. He touched her face.

"How beautiful you are," he says.

"What's happening Caleb you have to tell me what's happening."

Caleb said nothing, taking his hand in Anastasia's.

"Promise me you will do the right thing." he says, "the thing that will lead me back to you."

Anastasia shook her head not knowing what to say.

"I don't know what I'm-"

Caleb silences her.

"You will know when the time is right."

The walls start to crumble as a sad smile curves onto his beautiful face.

"I'll see you soon my Anya."

The candles burn out one by one leaving Anastasia in the dark. She feels her gown turn back to her tattered clothes, the only thing that stays the same is the jeweled crown on top of her head. Glowing in the darkness.