Prologue and Chapter 1: Hope (Part 1)

Prologue

21 March.

Human Rights Day.

Protests.

"Welcome back to a very special edition of The Martin Miller Show, coming to you live from the Southern African University, on a day when we, South Africans are meant to be celebrating our Human Rights. Unfortunately, human rights may be witnessing one of its darkest days here in SA."

Destruction, fires, civilians marching in the streets surrounding the building. The streets which were loud with voices chanting the same words. Civilians who have been left, abandoned.

"As you have been witnessing behind me all morning, hundreds of students of the SAU continue their exodus of the facility. As we have been reporting for weeks, it had been decreed by the national government that all students with so-called Naturally Altered Genes were to be expelled from this tertiary institution.

This decision has been the spark of week-long protests which appear to have reached its culmination today. Or at least, so we hope."

Martin Miller, along with hundreds of other members of the media and journalism world, both local and foreign, were scattered around Southern African University, a vast and imposing structure under attack, each reporting and shedding light on the controversial matter at hand. As loud and impactful as the striking had been, the weight of the accompanying sights of the student's expressions, the sympathy for their injustice, was unchallengeable. Many marched in anger, others drifted off in fear and sadness.

Miller continued. "SAU, which is Southern Africa's largest education facility, is the first of all public schools in the country that is almost due to evict these students. This National process is due to take place incrementally over the next few semesters, With SAU being the guinea pig of the new Genetic Segregation in Education Act which has been passed. An act, which the President of South Africa has deemed necessary after a string of violent attacks in colleges and universities as well as on the ruling political party itself, has seemingly been perpetrated by individuals with Naturally Altered Genes."

"Although the eviction of these SAU students has a due date set for the 31st of this month, with the backdrop of this almost sacred public holiday in our country, it has been decided by the students as well as the protesting public at large, that exiting today would serve as a milestone display of the public's disdain towards our national government.

"I speak for myself and probably many others as well when I say that the actions of a few criminals should not serve as grounds to eventually displace thousands of South African Students. And when I say many others, I must too, mention the incredible show of empathy and solidarity by the wider community, with thousands of ordinary South Africans speaking out and standing up to protest against this controversial act. The Premier of the Western Cape, Nadine Newfield herself, A strong candidate for a future president, along with her husband John Newfield has agreed to open up the doors of West Newfield University, the prestigious private facility run by the Newfield family, to any students with Naturally Altered Genes who have been unwillingly expelled from SAU. Furthermore, Premier Newfield, who has been left powerless to prevent this national act from affecting her province, has vowed to continue her strong political campaign against the ruling government."

"Beyond this, with the President seemingly steadfast with his rulings, we can only hope that this development is not yet another damaging blow being taken by a nation that is so very clearly on the ropes and only hope that this country's past is not more easily forgotten, with time gone by. Before I send it back to the studio, if I may say to all South Africans, be vigilant and careful with your judgment of your fellow people, and may their punishments properly fit not only the crimes, but the perpetrators as well.