Chapter 3: West Newfield

"I've lost my schedule." Tyler mentioned to Emily.

"Oh, uhm they must have sent you a copy of it via email. You could always use your phone to download one."

"Ja," He shyly pulled out his cellphone into Emily's view. "I don't think that's gonna be happening."

"Oh.." She replied, slightly stuttering out of surprise. "Right then. I guess we're going to be spending a bit more time together this morning, then." Emily didn't mind that at all. Neither did he. "I'll take you up to the admin building. This kinda works out. Now I can show you around a little bit.

The massive property was founded and grounded on the hillsides of Cape Town. As a result, many sections of the university stood on different levels as the hills crested and troughed. Staircases helped bridge the gap in elevations all around campus. The structure itself stood proudly, built of giant blocks of stone and glossy white pillars supported high, overhanging rooftops. Saturated green vines had spent decades growing up against many of the walls.

West Newfield University showed off many sports fields and great monuments. Overlooking the city, the greatest university in Africa itself was a monument of Cape Town. As represented by its students, scattered around the property, the school was a cultural and diverse melting pot. Most importantly to Tyler though, it was known to warmly welcome all eligible students with naturally altered genes.

"So, what do you think?"

"Compared to most of the other places I've been, this is a palace."

"A palace, hey? Well just wait until you meet the locals."

"Oh ja?" Emily laughed. "I'm just messing around. Most of the people around here are great."

Emily led Tyler up a grand staircase. Above the pearly pillars, the words WEST NEWFIELD was posted in two metre high wording, along with the school's badge. This made Tyler think back and take a look at the badge on Emily's sweater once again. "I guess you're a big fan?"

"I'm sorry?" She asked before following his eyes. "Oh, I'm part of the University's psychology and therapy team. It's mandatory that we wear these badges. I usually spend that part of my life doing what I can to assist students who still struggle with the physical and emotional effects of their altered genes."

"People like Alexander?" He took a chance to ask. "I'm sorry, I overheard you talking on the phone earlier."

"It's okay. And yes, I've been spending a lot of time trying to help him out."

"Wow. And what do you get out of it?"

"Nothing." Emily responded. "Nothing but a good night's sleep, knowing that I'm trying to do my part in society, I suppose." She shrugged her shoulders. "I dunno, this country and the world is in a little bit of a big mess right now, Tyler. I know I couldn't really live with myself if I just sat back and watched it all implode, you know?" Mason was impressed, yet again. He wondered how many more times Emily could catch him off guard in one morning.

The two youngsters approached a huge, solid wooden door, which led to the administrative foyer of the school, before walking up towards the receptionist; a frail, elderly woman with grey hair and large, vintage style spectacles. When they arrived at the window of her booth, it was closed and she had been busy on the telephone. Emily gently tapped on the window. Mrs. Livingstone didn't respond in any way.

"Emily, she looks busy. Maybe we should wait or come back later."

"We have no time to wait. She's always like this, by the way." She tapped on the window again, more emphatically this time. The receptionist, now irritated, looked up at her. Emily then mouthed the words, "Open up, please."