Chapter 18 - A Farewell

Hello guys! How are you doing? Enjoy reading...

******************************
Byakko had arrived. I was glad to know that he had come and saved Mia-chan. I was afraid of her getting hurt for me. If not for him, Mia-chan would be blown away from those magics.

"Yuuki...that monster, is it your familiar?"

Paul-san was sweating heavily when he asked me. He appeared to be in a state of anxiety. I tried to call him down as I wrote.

-Yes, he is my familiar. Byakko, the Invisible Tiger. Paul-san, please calm down. I'm sure he won't kill anyone.-

He looked at me in disbelief but heaved a heavy sigh as he resigned himself. He seemed to have given up on something.

"Well, if you say so. But, even though you and I know that, doesn't mean everybody else have the same opinion."

At his words, I began to notice, there were many villagers trembling in fear. They fell on to the ground with a frightened face. Some of them even cried, especially women.

My heart ached as I watched those reactions. Byakko never meant to do such things. He only wanted to protect me. He never wanted to cause such fear upon every one of them. However, even if I shouted this with all my heart, I knew it would not make any difference at all.

I glanced at Carla-san and Mia-chan. At least, Carla-san was not frightened but cautious. That was better, I guessed. Mia-chan seemed like she did not understand anything.

Lucas-san...even though he was clearly scared, he managed to stand up and looked directly at Byakko's figure.

[Hou, elf. You did not faint from my mere presence. I praise you for that.]

"T-that's impossible. Your kind should have ceased to exist already! How could you still live right at this moment!?"

[...through the sacrifice of my other kin, they entrust me our existence. We understand that we are a powerful race, therefore we live in seclusion. We wish not to interfere with the other races' business. Yet, your kind was the one who hunted us in the end. The one we saved countless times! The one we trusted the most! Just because of our precious heart that you wanted!]

Byakko's blaze burned even fiercer. The blue of his flare was shining brightly. I could sense the intense feeling of anger from his action. From what I heard from him, it seemed that Byakko's kind was almost extinct because of the elves.

Wisdom, is that true? Didn't you say that that almost gone extinct because of their ability to reproduce is complicated before? Furthermore, how could they hunt Byakko's family when they're strong?

«Answer. True. Due to their particular reproduction ability, they are unable to increase their kind regularly. However, the direct cause to their extinction is the hunting of Invisible Tiger. This is because of the special benefits of Invisible Tiger's heart. It can give longevity, youth and a significant increase of Mana. Furthermore, it is one of the ingredients to make an elixir, which is the elves' specialty product. It is very popular amongst the mortal and elves gain a significant amount of profit from selling the elixir. The reason the elves can hunt the Invisible Tiger's race is because they betrayed their trust. Originally, the Invisible Tiger saved the elves from calamities many times and the elves were in gratitude to them, so they gave them many tributes and good treatments. Then—»

Enough! That's.. enough...so, you're saying that the elves just hunt Byakko's family for money...? By betraying them?

«Affirmative.»