Chapter 1

Ten years ratified since he reached me. I waited for him to come back to this city but he didn't show up. Ten years passed and I wasn't forfeiting hope, I proceeded to wait for him—San, that's his name. It arose for a long time but I didn't forget about him. I was wishing that one day, we'll see each other again. I was also marveling if he still knows me and if he didn't neglect his pledge. Every day, I was stopping by the tree where we met near my dwelling.

I could still recall his face. How could I ever forget that black-haired boy? He tells me I'm beautiful and that we're a perfect match. He even said that he likes me and I like him too. He is my first love. My first friend. I only met him for an hour but I didn't know he would be so meaningful to me.

I could still recall that day when he told me he was visiting his grandparents together with his parents and cousin. My parents knew his grandparents, they were friends. There was one time I talked to his grandparents and told me that they have two grandsons, their names were Sanjie and Sander. Most of their family were girls, so they were pleased to hear that they have two grandsons.

Two grandsons will bring their family name, Pangilinan. My heart was whipping when I heard Sander's name. It tells me, he was that guy—my first love. I know where they're going to study High School, so I enrolled in the school where the Pangilinan cousins will go to. Sadly, we're not classmates. Those cousins were always in the star section while I was at the second section. I couldn't go near one of them because they were ever encircled by people. They were heartthrobs in the school.

Now that we're in Junior High School, I still couldn't go near them. I wanted to talk to them, especially Sander. But how can I if they're always surrounded by people?

"Oh! Ano na namang iniisip mo?" Maxi snapped.

I looked at her, but before I could answer, our friend Lorraine talked.

"Correction Maxi! Hindi ano kundi sino. She's thinking of Sander again!" She said.

I sough. "Gusto ko lang naman makausap si Sander," I said.

They looked at me. "How? Eh palagi siyang napapalibutan ng mga tao, lalong lalo na ng mga kababaihan." Lorraine asked.

"Edi kausapin niya kapag mag-ia nalang si Sander," Maxi replied.

Lorraine lent me an illogical look. "I don't know what hit you Aniah, pero bakit ba in love na in love ka sa kanya? Eh alam nating hindi ka niya kakausapin kung sakaling ma-solo mo siya. Kasi diba hindi niya kinakausap yung ibang kababaihan diyan."

"Sinabi ko naman sa inyo ang rason diba? Magkakilala na kami noon pa. Siya yung unang kumausap sa'kin." I clamored.

"Eh kung siya yung unang kumausap sa'yo. Edi sana ngayon kinakausap ka na niya, now that High School na tayo." Maxi said.

Lorraine coated her mouth. "Hindi kaya nakalimutan ka na niya?" She asked.

I didn't reply. I don't know what to answer. She's right. If Sander still knows me, he'll talk to me first like what he did ten years ago. Did he truly forget about me? Forget about Phani?

"Speaking of Sander, he's entering the cafeteria jointly with his cousin, Sanjie," Maxi murmured.

I glanced at the entrance of the cafeteria and saw Sander with his cousin, Sanjie entering the cafeteria. Girls inside the cafeteria began shrieking in warmth while I was gazing at them, Specifically, at Sander.

Why is he so handsome?

Sander is the cumulative contrary of Sanjie. His cousin was friendly while he was hostile—not exactly, he just doesn't talk to further people and when some girl confides in him, he dismisses it in a way that could undermine your feelings, and that explains why I don't want to confess to him. As to Sanjie, he also rejects when some girl confesses to him, but in a good way. I admit, Sanjie is polite while Sander is insensitive. Well, despite their disparities, it didn't affect their relationship as cousins. They stay close and acted like brothers.