Chapter 18

A SIGH ESCAPED from his lips

A SIGH ESCAPED from his lips. Kael just arrived in my unit and he looked so worn-out. After our talk in the coffee shop, Kael told me about the things he knew.

He said the police were having a hard time because Fia’s parents refused to get an autopsy. Fia’s parents are influential in the business industry and they’re pressuring the police to find who killed their daughter even without the autopsy.

Just today, I learned what an autopsy is. It’s a thorough examination of the body of the victim to find out what caused the death. And with Fia’s case, they can’t identify how she was really killed. There’s no clue aside from the scratches on her body.

I offered water to Kael, which he immediately drank.

“How was it? What did they say?” I asked, nervous.

Kael smiled a little. “They agreed to get an autopsy.”

“Really? I thought they were firm with their decision?”

“They want justice. Ginawa ko ang lahat para ipakita sa kanila na kakailanganin ng autopsy para mahuli ang totoong may sala.”

And just like that, I can feel that there’s still hope. We can actually do this, we can catch whoever did that to Fia.

Mag-aalas-sais na ng gabi pero heto kami at nasa labas ng unit ni Fia. Narito pa rin ang crime scene tape kaya hindi kami makapasok sa loob. Kagaya ng nakita noon ay ganoon pa rin ang unit ni Fia, wala na ang katawan niya sa sofa pero sa tuwing titingin ako roon…hindi ko maiwasang matulala.

“It’s too clean, Dekko.”

Tama siya. Nakakapagtaka ang kalinisan ng unit ni Fia. Kung wala nga itong crime scene tape ay hindi mo aakalaing may naganap na krimen dito.

“We won’t get anything here.” Napailing-iling siya. “Walang dugo o kahit anong dumi. I also overheard from the precinct that they weren’t able to get any finger prints on Fia’s body.”

Nilingon ko siya. “How did that happen?”

“Maybe the killer wore gloves? I don’t know.”

“Fia looks neat that morning, Kael. Since there’s no bleeding, it’s safe to assume that the killer didn’t use a knife or any pointed item on her…” I let my eyes wander around Fia’s unit once more, trying to look for anything that was probably used by the killer. But I can’t seem to find anything.

I turned to Kael who was now silent. “What do you think caused her death?”

“Hindi ko na alam…hindi ko sigurado.” He ran his hands through his hair. A frustrated sigh came out of his lips. “May hinala akong ginahasa siya, Dekko.”

Nagkatinginan kami. Umiling ako nang mapagtanto ang nasa isip niya. “Hindi magagawa ni Mang Robert ang iniisip mo.”

“Then how would you explain the scratches on her body? Those weren’t on her when I saw her that morning. Only the killer could have done that.”