two

It isn't until a week later that Taehyung truly realized going back to Seoul might be a bad idea. Every single thing here reminds him of Jeongguk; from the familiar streets, the coffee shops, the convenience store, down to the air in the city. 

It's only right, he thinks. They did meet here, on a breezy afternoon at the start of spring, many years ago. Jeongguk had just started college then, a fresh new face eager to learn and Taehyung had a year left. 

To Taehyung he was the brightest soul. He remembers staying up at night to read up on his notes because finals were closing in and the anxiety had packed up like a coiled spring in his belly. He'd met Jeongguk a week before, at the library, when they'd both reached for the same book.

Instead of turning his laptop on, Taehyung had called Jeongguk, smiled when he heard the soft 'hello' from the other end of the line, and the rest is history.

Between now and then, there was only one heartbreak and Taehyung's afraid it's still broken.

He's tempted to go and see Jeongguk at his tattoo shop, see if Jeongguk would pretend they don't know each other, if Jeongguk would avoid him or if Jeongguk would welcome him back.

Knowing Jeongguk, Taehyung doubts he'd be turned away. 

He sighs now as he places his cup of coffee down on the table, feeling stuck in a way, looking for a place to rent so he doesn't have to stay over at Minjae's for too long and contemplating going back to Kiumin's, where he used to live before he'd moved in with Jeongguk. The options are there, but he still feels stuck.

He hasn't felt stuck until they broke up if he's honest and it's sad. It's just really sad. He doesn't want to depend his happiness on Jeongguk but he couldn't deny the fact that he hadn't been truly happy since they split up. 

His focus shifts to the door when it opens and Minjae walks in, greeting him with a nod. Taehyung mirrors it in response, noticing the way Minjae's features turn into a smile, clearly with something to say.

"Jeongguk says hi.", Minjae says, effectively causing Taehyung to choke on his spit.

"What?"

Minjae laughs, putting his backpack down on the counter and grabbing a soda from the fridge before he comes to join Taehyung on the couch. "Saw him on campus today and Jihan already told him you're in the city. He asked about you."

Taehyung's heart beats a little faster. 

"He did?"

"Yeah, dude.", Minjae nods, opening up his can of soda and reaching for the remote to change the channel. "Not sure if he wants you to know that he did but like, I'm not gonna not tell you."

"What'd he say?"

The younger boy lifts his shoulders. "Asked how you've been, what you're doing back here. I told him he should check on you himself, but he only laughed. You know, that laugh he usually let out."

"When he's nervous or feeling awkward.", Taehyung laughs, remembering it well. "Yeah. I know."

"Listen,", Minjae slaps at Taehyung's knee, squeezing it. "You're both clearly hung up on each other. Either you two find some closure by talking it out or be like this for like, a really long time."

Taehyung sighs, leaning forward to stare into the black of his coffee, already cold. "I don't know, man. It's not as easy as it sounds."

"I know that,", Minjae says as he gets off the couch, turning to head towards his room. "But even I know you have to do something about it. I know he feels the same way you do, or he would have said yes when the dance major dude asked him out."