six

"The ending of that movie was so unsatisfying.", Jeongguk says his nose scrunched up in the way that he does it whenever he's unhappy. 

"They could have just ended up together, couldn't they?"

Taehyung finds himself nodding. 

"Yeah, totally."

Had he truly paid attention to the movie? Guilty. He'd been too focused on how close they had been and how easy it was to pretend there hadn't been thousands of miles between them and a heartbreak that came with. Jeongguk was so close. 

"You didn't pay attention, did you?", Jeongguk asks but there's no sign of annoyance on his face, which surely tells Taehyung that he knows Taehyung well enough to tell if he was focusing or not.

Taehyung flashes him an apologetic smile. 

"It was your kind of movie. I picked it specifically for you."

Jeongguk rolls his eyes with a shake of his head, a smile on his lips. 

"Thanks but I think I would've enjoyed your kind of movie too."

"But then you wouldn't be paying attention, would you?", Taehyung teases him with a nudge to his shoulder. 

"I wanted to make tonight nice."

At this, Jeongguk smiles at him just a little wider, stopping midstep to turn to Taehyung. 

"You know it doesn't take much to please me. We could've just gone for ice cream and I'd have been happy with that."

Taehyung stares at Jeongguk now, at the way his lips are stretched into that pretty smile and how his eyes seem to twinkle under the moonlight. Something aches in his bones; a longing to hold the boy he's still much in love with. Jeongguk's beauty is unmatched and it's almost physically painful.

"I know.", Taehyung says. 

"I didn't want to do the bare minimum. We haven't done this in three years."

"It didn't feel like three years.", Jeongguk says. They should be walking, Taehyung thinks, but he stays there while jeongguk continues. 

"It doesn't feel like you left the city."

"I'm here to stay."

Jeongguk's wide eyes are like shiny buttons, looking into his with glimmering hope. 

"Really?"

Taehyung nods his head and reaches out to take Jeongguk's hand in his own. He stares at Jeongguk's fingers, lets his digits interlock with them. 

"If you give me the chance, I'd make it right again. You can take as much time as you need. I'll be right here. I'll be waiting. I'd wait forever if I have to."

And he would. He knows he would. Jeongguk is worth everything. He'd give up everything he has now if it means he'd get to spend a day with Jeongguk, let alone a lifetime.

Jeongguk gives his hand a squeeze, speaking softly. 

"I just want you to know that I wasn't hurt. I mean, it hurt that it came to a point where we had to separate but I've never blamed you for it. I understood and I'll always understand."

"Thank you.", Taehyung whispers, thumb caressing the spot on Jeongguk's palm. 

"I hope that you'll give me the chance to make it right again."

He's met with Jeongguk's blinding smile. 

"I'm here, aren't I?"