001; bruises

the cold wind blew against her skin, loose strands of her hair were falling in front of her eyes. her green mixed with gray eyes scanned the road as she cycled to school.

her chest was going up and down as she arrived at school, being out of breath from the intensive cycling.

it was nothing different than any other november morning as students gathered with their friends, discussing the weekend meanwhile others were busy copying each other's homework. normal for regular students, unusual for hope.

she didn't really belong to a friend group, she only stuck to daniel, her best friend since childhood.

their usual spot to meet was at daniel's locker, so after stuffing her books into her locker, hope walked down the corridor to daniel's locker. she hoped he would be already there, just like he did every morning.

'listen. so i was thinking, how about that you come over to my place tomorrow, we bake brownies, then watch despicable me two while eating them,' daniel said in one breath, smiling as he was done rambling, pointing two fingers in front of hope.

'hello to you too,' hope smiled, closer daniel's locker after he was done putting his stuff in it.

'but yes, it's been a while since we watched despicable me two,' hope said in answer to his question, as the two walked up the stairs to their class room. watching the minions movie was one of the traditions the pair had, never regretting it every time they watched it.

'i'm gonna fail this test, i'm pretty sure,' hope sighed, opening the door to the classroom, where mister carson already was.

'lies. you never fail a test,' daniel replied, the two of them taking place in front of the class, watching more students fill the room as the bell rang.

'but this one is different,' hope complained, grabbing her pencil case along with her favorite pencil.

'yeah, and taylor swift is my sister,' daniel said in a sarcastic voice, rolling his eyes playfully.

hope shrugged her shoulders, looking at the paper in front of her that the teacher just had given her, sighing as she turned the page.

her eyes quickly scanned the test, relieved to see the questions weren't that hard at all.

hope finished the test really fast since it wasn't as difficult as she thought, being able to leave the class early. mister carson wasn't that strict.

as she made her way to daniel's locker, where they would meet again to go the next class, she bumped into someone.

her glasses slid off her nose, falling on the ground. hope quickly picked them up, feeling if it was broken since she couldn't see if there was a crack in it.

'watch your moves next time, hope,' a deep voice said sharply. hope put on her glasses to see who it was, her eyes widen as she recognized the person.

'i'm sorry,' she said quietly, waiting for the person to walk by. she stood very still, trying not to make a move since it could piss the boy off.

'now i know why you bumped into me,' eben scoffed, looking at her glasses as he pushed her to the side and walked further down the corridor.

hope pressed her lips upon each other, a thin line forming. she closed her eyes for a second, regathered herself and walked to daniel's locker.

it wasn't new for her; in fact, it was pretty normal to hope. people scoffed at her often, made fun of her, shoved her against lockers, and others were the cause of the many bruises she had.

in the beginning she cried about it often, but after a while she became numb to the pain. it was like the words didn't mean anything her anymore, like the slaps didn't hurt like they first did.

although daniel knew about it, he couldn't do much about it. they would go after him too, and that was the last thing hope wanted. she would rather have them punch her than hurt daniel in any way.

standing by daniel's locker, hope waited for daniel to be done with the test. while she was reading a book on her phone she glanced nervously up and down so every now and then, making sure no one was walking in her direction except daniel.

you never know when people will try to do something, so hope was always keeping an eye out. especially when she was alone.

her eyes gazed around the hallway as she had her back against daniels locked pressed, seeing a figure walking past her.

corbyn besson, also known as the most popular boy in the entire school. he got everything a teenage boy needed; the looks, a lot of friends, attention from girls, money, and surprisingly, he got a brain too.

to her he was just another boy, a student just like the others. yes, she must admit that he was attractive, but that didn't mean she liked him, just like all the other girls here on rosefield academy.

'holy shit, that test was just too difficult. i only answered two of the eleven questions,' daniel said, making hope slightly jump as she didn't see him coming.

'yeah, i did pretty well though i think,' hope replied, a blush creeping on her cheeks as she didn't like to be better at the test than daniel.

'of course you did. let's get lunch,' daniel said with a smile, placing his hand on her shoulder as the two walked to the cafeteria. ready to get cold, nasty canteen food.

oh, and ready to face the many students, ready to be judged.

author's note:

ok so do y'all like or

what's the vibe here

also this chapter is dedicated to @-RETROGLOSS cuz yk 😌✨