003; green flowers

as she arrived at her house, throwing her bike on the ground, she saw that the green curtains were still closed.

hope let out a sigh, looking for her key before she unlocked the door. her day at school was exhausting as always, causing her to want to lie down on her bed and nothing else.

the short girl walked to the kitchen, it having a vintage looking furniture, and started to make a cup of tea.

while the water was boiling, she leaned against the counter staring aimlessly, then her eyes falling upon the flowers in front of her.

hope smiled, seeing her dad picked some new flowers before since the old ones were rotten, and some were dead. the flowers were different than the ones before, more color was added this time.

she got her cup of tea, blowing the steam away as she walked up the stairs.

hope was an only child, which led to her having a big room. a lot of art hung on the walls, there was a big desk where she studied, and she had green pillows stuffed on her bed.

it was one of the few places her mind came to peace. there weren't much other places; only daniel's house, the lake, and her mom's grave.

after sitting on her bed for an hour just aimlessly looking around and drinking her tea slowly in order not to burn her tongue, she placed her cup on her desk and headed downstairs.

'hey, dad,' hope smiled softly as she saw her father sitting in the living room. he must have been coming home when she was upstairs.

'hey, sweetheart. how was school?' her father, sean, asked. his face was hidden behind the newspaper as he was reading the headlines of that day.

'it was alright. i got my grade from geography back though,' hope replied, making tea for her dad as well. that was the one thing that remained after her mum's death; her father and hope still drank tea with each other every day like they did before.

'and? did you pass?' sean asked, turning the page as he frowned his eyes, sighing as he read another article about unnecessary murder.

'yeah, i got an a plus,' hope blushed, knowing her father would be proud of her like he always did.

'of course you would. i'm proud of you, honey,' sean said, smiling as hope put the cup of tea on the little table in front of him.

'i'm going to the lake real quick, i won't be late. just saying hi to mum,' hope said, grabbing her jacket and her scarf.

'alright, don't forget to pick some flowers for her. i did some new ones in the vase today, but didn't pick some for mum,' sean replied.

'yeah, i saw. they're pretty,' hope said, taking one last look at the flowers in the kitchen.

'say hi to mom, from me too,' her father said, causing hope to nod. then she grabbed a key, a bottle of water and headed outside.

the usual cold wind blew the loose strands from her braid in every way possible. luckily the wind wasn't that hard, so it wasn't dangerous for hope to take the canoe and go on the lake.

the lake was close to her house, which was why it was easy for her to take the canoe and go to the flower field or her mom's grave.

the canoe was transparent so you could see the water underneath you. hope got it once for her birthday, it was the best present she could ever wish for.

first she got it to canoe to the flower field, now she used it to go visit her mom's grave.

the sun was shining, and with the reflection of the water, it was nicely warm to canoe. the flower field wasn't far away, especially not for hope since she canoed that distance a lot.

arriving at the flower field, hope adjusted the canoe at a mooring post and after making sure it was tied, she stepped out of the small boat.

she walked further into the grass as her gaze landed on the flowers that started to grow here and there, and eventually she ended up in the flower field.

she let out a happy sigh, and started to pick some flowers. hope decided to get some green ones and white ones, since her mom's favorite color was green.

when she was young, hope never really liked the color green. she was determined that her favorite color was pink, but when she got older green had grown on her. her mother loved it, and hope started to see that it was her favorite color too.

after picking a bunch of flowers, hope walked further, passing by the flower field until she came to a gate. it was the gate to the graveyard, where her mum was buried.

the couple that lived near by had the key for the gate, but since they were away for the weekend they had hidden the key underneath a bucket with flowers.

after hope opened the gate, she walked the path, that was now so familiar, to her mom's grave.

as she sat down where her mom was buried, she exchanged the old flowers for the new ones. with a small smile she gazed at the letters that were written on the headstone.

fionna rachel macquoid

let us live like flowers–
wild and beautiful
and drenched in sun

'did you know i passed the geography test? the one i told you about yesterday?' hope began, plucking grass from the ground. her legs were crossed, her head hanging a little low.

'daniel didn't get a good grade, i feel bad. maybe i should stop studying so i'm not the smart one every time,' she rambled on, 'plus then people can't make fun of me anymore for being a study nerd.'

hope let out a laugh as tears started to fall down her cheeks while she spoke to her mum about the bullying at school; how people started to beat her up on another serious level.

'it's like the whole school is against me except for daniel. i think the teachers hate me even though i get good grades,' hope sighed, wiping underneath her eyes with her hands.

'well, you know that boy named corbyn besson? he gave me a smile today. maybe he doesn't hate me, unlike the others.'

author's note:

🥺