009; never know

'daniel, like i said, i'm not going to the party. i'm just simply not going.'

'stop being a little kid and come with me. we're probably not even gonna be recognized,' daniel argued as the two were walking around the park.

'since why do you want to go to a party? we never went, never go, and never will go,' hope replied, throwing a little stone in the water under the bridge.

'can't we have fun for once?' daniel asked, zipping up his jacket since it was getting more cold outside. it was now the middle of the winter.

'yes, we can. but watching the minions is way more fun then having drunk teenagers sweating against your back because you're forced to dance at a party.'

'we can't watch the minions forever, hope. we're sixteen and seventeen for dang it sake,' daniel said as the two headed back to daniel's house.

'i feel like there is a reason why you wanna go to the party. it's not only because we need to "have fun",' hope responded, putting her hands in the air.

'absolutely not,' daniel replied immediately, a tint of pink appearing on his cheeks. the boy was definitely hiding something.

'tell me, is it nadia?' hope asked, waiting for daniel to unlock the front door of his house.

'how do you know?' daniel asked surprised, his cheeks now being red as he hold the door open for hope.

'you act like i don't see you staring at her in the library at school all day long,' hope answered, 'didn't you smile at her the other day?'

'you're the fbi or some shit. but yes, she is the reason,' daniel mumbled, causing hope to smile.

'finally. i've been shipping you guys since day one.' hope sat down on daniel's desk chair as he threw a pillow from the bed at her.

'so, you're down to party?' daniel asked, laying down on the bed. his arms were under his head and he was facing the ceiling.

'i don't know, daniel. i've never been to one. you went a few months ago when you were with your cousin. you know how a party is,' hope replied.

'facts. but come on, every average teenager has to go to a party for once,' daniel looked at hope, seeing that it would take some time to convince her.

'i mean, yes. but are we average teenagers?' hope asked, 'plus, i don't know how to dance.'

'of course we aren't average teenagers. that's why we only have each other,' daniel answered through a laugh. then he added,

'everyone can dance, hope.'

'yeah, dance in the rain. but not at a party with teenagers taking shots and girls grinding on guys like that's what love is.'

'well, you're not wrong there,' daniel replied, 'but please, do it for me, okay? i just wanna talk to nadia.'

'and be alone for the rest of the night? i think not,' hope said, grabbing the guitar that was hanging at daniel's wall.

'you can ask kay? i'm sure she is already going,' the boy said, watching hope play the chords of the only song she knew how to play.

'i'll go if kay goes. i'm not gonna be alone at the party while you're running off with nadia,' hope mumbled, focusing on playing the guitar.

'so it's a yes?'

'yes.'

-

'play that one song you wrote the other day,' hope said, letting her head lay on the couch. the two sat in the living room, close to the fireplace.

hope had stayed for dinner like she did every tuesday. keri and jeff had left earlier to buy some new plants for the living room and daniel's brothers and sister were upstairs.

'it sucks though,' daniel replied, grabbing the guitar that was sat in the corner of the living room. in the seavey's house there was in almost every room a guitar, even though only daniel played the instrument.

'you suck though,' hope smiled, watching a glare appear on the boy's face.

'i won't play then.'

'you want to sing the song to me, so sit down and do it. i know you're proud of it so you're gonna do it anyway, regardless i'm annoying or not.'

'you're so stubborn,' daniel sighed, rolling his eyes in a playful way as a smile appeared on his face.

'you're just mad that i'm right,' hope replied, waiting for daniel to start playing the guitar.

daniel didn't say anything after that, he was focused on finding the right chords as he started to hum a melody.

his humming soon turned into singing, his fingers playing the strings of the guitar as hope listened closely to the words,

'cause only never comes
when never's all you know

tired of running from tomorrow
i lie awake sleepless nights
will i ever know the answer
to the writing on the wall?
will i ever find the light?

these days when struggle's
all you know
these days when trouble's at your door
you're doing your thing
trying to cope
don't hold on onto pain
let it go

'cause never comes only
when never is all that you know

'that was so beautiful,' hope smiled as daniel strummed away the last chords, a slight tint of pink appearing on the boy's cheeks.

'i'm not done with it yet. it's not the rhythm i want yet, it's still unfinished,' daniel said, placing the guitar back in its spot.

'imagine you're gonna play this in front of thousand upon thousands of people. imagine going to play arenas,' hope replied, smiling as he nudged his arm.

'yeah, that would be amazing. but that day is never going to come, so we can only dream.'

author's note:

i'm not attached to daniel and hope. i'm not attached to daniel and hope. i'm not attached to daniel and hope.