First Day At High School

Jessie walked out of her house onto the sidewalk, closing the door behind her—but not before her mum gave her a big, sloppy kiss on the cheek.

"Have fun at school Jessie, oh, I mean high school!"

Jessie sighed, Pam had been talking about it all morning. "Yes mum, I'm going to high school, big deal."

Before her mum could say anything else embarrassing, she walked out the door.

She couldn't believe it, she was going to high school! Leon had already told her about the dangers of this new place, since he was one year older than her, but Jessie was exited to experience this moment in real life. She acted like it was nothing around her mum, but truthfully, she was terribly nervous.

As she continued to walk she looked up ahead to the bus stop. This was her first time riding the bus by herself, and without the safety of her mother, it was like being in a whole different world.

As she sat down she noticed Nita—her very best friend—walking up to her. Nita had been away on holiday in Brawltopia for the last year, and Jessie was so exited to see her. Jessie called out her name and Nita looked up.

"Jessie!" She shouted as a smile spread across her face. "I was going to walk you to the bus stop, but your mum said that you had left already."

Jessie groaned, "I'm so sorry, I should have thought of that."

"Don't sweat it," said Nita as she sat down next to Jessie. "You couldn't have known that I was going to come anyway."

"I can't believe your back! I haven't seen you in so long!" Jessie looked at Nita and realised something; Nita was different. She had a different smell, a different personality, and a different body.

"You look different!" Jessie said. "Hang on, is that makeup?"

"Yes, I got a whole set for my thirteenth birthday."

Jessie's eyes glowed with envy. "I'm literally so jealous right now, Pam still won't ever get me any makeup.

"Really?" Asked Nita. "Wow, that sucks."

Jessie suddenly noticed that the bus was coming up along the road and she started to get nervous. "Ummm, Nita?"

"What's up?" Said Nita.

"Well, I've never really been on a bus before, so can you help me?"

"Of course, I rode busses by myself loads of times in Brawltopia, just do what I do, ok?"

"Yep," said Jessie uncertainty as the bus pulled up.