Chapter 28

"Pack your stuff where leaving"

Once the words fell out of his mouth confusion filled me. We had just gotten to New York and now where leaving? "Damien what are you talking about" I say placing the book I was reading down. "I don't have time to explain it Bella but right now I need you to go pack a duffle bag for both of us while I call Alaric." I don't question his words as I rush up the stairs. I go to my room and shove any article of clothing I can fit. I head to Damiens room to do the same but I'm met with a locked door and muffled talking. I place my ear on the door as I eavesdrop on the conversation.

"I'm going too kill the son of a bitch. I mean first you try killing my fiancé, me, and now my uncle! What am I supposed to do Alaric! I cant hide out the rest of my life, I have a multi-billion dollar business to run." I hear Damien's panic filled voice through the door as he spoke to his brother on the phone. Who the hell wants to kill us? My heart beat quickened as I thought back to what happened in Rome. Then something clicked. The argument Damien and I had earlier must be who he is talking about.

From the time Ive got to know Damien I have noticed how calm and collected he is. So the behavior and reaction he showed towards the mention of dimitri was strange. Before I could even comprehend anything else the door opened. I straighten and act as if I hadn't just been listening into his conversation. Damiens looming form stands over me, I look up to be met with his raging blues fixed on me. "It's Dimitri isn't it" I whisper. He looks at me in shock so I continue "Damien why aren't you telling me what's really going on? Was he the one that organized the incident in Rome? I mean come on are you a apart of some organized crime bullshit." The last sentence comes out before I could stop myself.

It's like time stops as Damien grabs me by the shirt and tugs me into the room. The sound of the door slamming and my back hitting the wall makes me yelp. My heart rate is erratic as I take in my situation. The duffle bag I had started to pack was now thrown onto the ground with all its contents in a messy pile. The hot air of his breath fans my face as he lowers his face to mine. The tension within the air thickens as we stay in deathly silence. The only thing that can be heard is the booming of my heart against my eardrums.

"You really know nothing do you." His tone is dark and laced with anger. I open my mouth to speak but I shut it just as quickly. I didn't want to fight him any longer, I just wanted answers. "Fine I guess its time you found out about who I am" he says releasing me from his cage against the wall. I stay planted to my spot as he walks over to the bed sits on the edge holding his head in his hands. Today was the day I'd finally get answers to all this madness that has entered my life. I thought I would be excited but all I feel is dread.

"Let me start from the beginning. The story of Damien Knight starts right here in New York where I was born and Raised most of my life. I Travelled most of my childhood with both my parents Derek and Emily Knight. That was until a horrible 'accident' happened. I was twelve at the time when my childhood home was broken into by a group of men. They were run by a man that had an ugly scar across his cheek and disgusting grin. That mans name was Dimitri, that piece of shit low-life that tried making a business deal with your father. Like I was saying, my family was ambushed with gun barrels from each corner pointed at our heads. My mother held onto Alaric and I as my father tried to reason with Dimitri to leave us alone. You know that was the day I shot someone for the first time. I will never regret my decision of putting a bullet through one of the assholes. Could you blame me, They gunned my mother down as if she was the kill of the season. I had to watch my mother be put into a body bag and father being rushed to the hospital. For fucks sake I was just a KID. You're right Bella my family has been apart of organized crime for centuries, but so has yours. So welcome to the shitty world of the mafia because your just another pawn waiting to be pulled into another deal."

All I could do is listen in shock as tears fell down my face like waterfalls. The pain in his voice was heart shattering, All I could see was boy needing the comfort of a mother. The real identity of Damien Knight was a broken little Kid that is still waiting for the comfort of his parents arm. A broken little boy that was forced to grow up. And then their was me a naive little girl who has been shadowed and blinded to her families history. A sheltered girl that was brought up in the 'perfect' world. No words could describe how I felt.

Before I could respond he stands up. He picks up the items that were once in the duffle bag and hands me it. "Were leaving in 10 so hurry up" his face is stone cold and void of any emotion just like the day I met him. I let my feet carry me to his closet as I shove in anything that could fit. The whole time I cried. I cried out for justice for Damien's parents, the betrayal of my parents, and my own self pity. How could I have been so selfish? How could I have been so stupid? The urge to scream clawed at my throat.

I wipe my tear stained cheeks with the back of my hand as I sniffle. I pull the bag onto my shoulder as I walk down the stairs to find Damien with his jacket on and car keys in hand. "Damien" I hoarsely whisper out as his eyes meet mine. As I hand him the bag he grabs my arm and pulls me towards him. "I'm sor" his words are replaced with my sobs as the emotions I tried so hard to keep at bay came rushing back. "Don't you dare apologize!" My scream ricocheted's off the walls of the apartment "Don't ever try to apologize for what that sick son of a bitch has done to you!" My throat burns as everything comes flooding out.

"I'm done with being a sheltered naive little girl! I'm sick of being lied to and not knowing that at any moment I could lose everyone I care about. I just want to live a normal happy life Damien. I know that may sound selfish but that's all I have ever wanted! I'm so sorry for what that twisted bastard has made you go through! I promise I will do anything to help you kill that son of a bitch If means I get hurt trying to do it. Because you mean way to much to me Damien, More than you know! In a strange way you've made my life a little more happier so thank you. Thank you for all the times you've made me laugh, annoyed, and even mad. Thank you for the times you've made me cry because its all been worth it. I'm here to stay so don't you ever shut me out out again! And if you do Ill kick your ass you big jerk" I wrap my arms around him as I cry into his shoulder. He lowers his head to my ear and whispers the words that make my heart stop.

"I would be a fool to ever leave you. Thank you for being the light in my life that Ive been looking for."

Happy Hallows eve! I hope you all enjoy the new chapter just as much as I did writing it!- Bella❤️