Chapter III

(le cheap divider)

Conner woke with a start. He was going to be late. To a publishing meeting. That was the worst kind of being late. He peeked at his phone with a grim look. It was four o'clock in the morning. He wasn't going to be late, he was going through jet lag. Even though it was only a three-hour difference, he was still set in his time. He didn't remember it being like this the other times he had come, but he shrugged it off and got up.

He trudged to the tiny little fridge on the wall of the small hotel room and pulled out his water bottle. He always kept it in the fridge overnight to be cold in the morning to wake him up. And it did the trick. The cold beverage sliding down his throat sent a jolt through his body, waking him up well.

Even though it was four in the morning, he was awake as ever, so he plopped on his bed and pulled his laptop off his charger. Then he heard his phone ding on his nightstand and looked at who it was.

Bree: Morning!

Conner smiled. She would've known he was awake.

Conner: Morning right back. Whatchu doin?

Bree: Writing, as you should be, too.

Conner: I was going to, then you texted me. But, I will do that now.

Bree: Good. Byie!

Conner laughed at his girlfriend and set his phone down. He opened his laptop and started to write and edit. he made sure to keep good track of time so he wouldn't be late for real this time. When it was time for him to get ready and go, he put on some good music through his headphones and got ready to go.

(le cheap divider)

"Mister Bailey, how are you today? I hope you are as well and excited about this as you sounded on the phone?" Merlin asked, sitting down at his end of the conference table.

"Yes, sir, I am very excited and well for this. Been looking forward to it for a long time," OCnner said politely, being in front of such excellence made him happy but also on edge.

"Very good," Merlin said, laying out a few folders in front of himself and giving some to the assistant to pass to Conner.

"Thanks," Conner said to the lady as she laid them in front of him. He looked down at them. "Wow, these are fancy folders," he said, not meaning to say it out loud.

Merlin chuckled. "You deserve fancy folders, Mr Bailey,"

Conner blushed at the compliment, and looked down at the folders again, opening them up to see the fancy script as well. Merlin told him of the contract over the phone, and Conner spent a few moments to read it in person. There was a little line at the bottom of all the text for him to sign. He almost didn't even have to think twice. He had wanted this for so many years, he couldn't even begin to imagine backing out now or hesitating.

He picked up the pen on top another folder, He vaguely noticed his name on it in another fancy script before he put it to paper and signed his name. Also in fancy script. He had been practising.

(le cheap divider)