Chapter X

(le cheap divider is already packing leir bags)

Conner dropped Bree off at her flat on his way back to his new one. He had moved out of his hotel room already, and it felt weird to walk into his new flat and call it his own. Something about the whole thing in New York left him wanting more. Like...company?

Conner smiled at that thought again. That one little, nagging thought he got whenever he thought about Bree. And he was gonna do something about it. He already had what he needed, and knew what her answer would be.

After her good reaction to him living so close, he knew what would she would say. he just knew it. And know he wasn't even thinking about when he would do it, but just how happy he would be afterwards.

So Conner chickened out of waiting. He went up to his apartment, grabbed what he needed, and raced back down to the car. He drove a jittery drive back to Bree's where he ran up the stairs and rang the doorbell as many times as he could.

A tired-looking Bree opened the door. "Conner?" she asked, perplexed at him being there. "Did you forget something?"

Conner said nothing and just walked inside. He stood in the little hallway and then walked to the living room. Bree followed, unsure of his odd behaviour.

"Conner?" she asked.

"No, just, um," he said, floundering for words now. "Just don't talk for a bit, okay?"

He didn't even wait for her response before launching into his speech.

"Bree Campbell, I have known you for a total of three years, one month, and three days. And every single second of that, I always knew a few things about you. You are the smartest, funniest, wittiest, craziest person I have ever met. You always can cheer me up when I need it. You can always come up with the best comebacks. You write like nobody's business, and you make it a priority. Just like people in your life. Even when we weren't in a relationship, you still kept our relationship a priority because it meant something to you. And you have always cared for me. And I have cared for you since the second I met you. Even when you got things in your career I didn't, things were fine between us because we fit together and should be together. Forever."

Bree inhaled sharply and her eyes widened as Conner reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out a small box. He knelt on the ground and looked up at her.

"Bree, you make me the happiest person in the world. And I know for a fact that I will try my hardest to make you the happiest person in the world, too. So...."

Conner opened the ring box.

"Marry me?"

(le cheap divider chuckles darkly and leaves for le last time)