Chapter 3

***(Lloyd's POV)***

"We're home," Cole sighs happily. "We're home! We survived!"

I look up from my phone to see the van has stopped.

I'm at the monastery.

Finally.

I press myself against Cole's seat. "Let me out," I beg. "Kai's three-hour bathroom rule is killing me." And it's after nine o'clock. I'm only going to be able to stay at Rumi's for, like, an hour.

Nya closes her book and turns off her flashlight. "Again, with the soda pop." She unentangles herself from Jay, who has apparently fallen asleep against his window.

I roll my eyes, pulling her a little closer to me. "He was using you like a teddy bear."

"I mean, I do that with you all the time. Why do you have to sound so grumpy about it?"

"Because...no reason. You're right." I sling an arm over her shoulder.

"Jay," she whispers. "Ja-aaaaay. Wake up. We're here."

"Hmm?" he moans.

"We're back at the monastery."

"We're what?" Suddenly, his eyes widen. "O-oh, hey, Nya. Um..."

She giggles. "You're a hard sleeper."

He rubs the back of his neck. "Um, yeah. I'm so sorry if I snored or talked in my sleep or – "

She shrugs. "I could care less." Then, in a more annoyed tone, she sighs, "Cole, can you put your seat down already? My legs are cramped."

He groans. "I'm trying, but my foot fell asleep."

She turns to Zane. "Dude, since you're already packed and all, would you mind going ahead and letting us poor backseat babies out?"

"Letting...what?" Zane frowns.

I clear my throat. "Zane, we really want to get out of the van and go home."

"Oh. I apologize, friends." He opens his door and begins climbing out.

"It's okay," I reply. "We get it. Jay was drooling all over the window a few minutes ago, so he wasn't really in a position to move, either."

"I...I was?" Jay turns bright red.

"It's okay," Nya says. "Lloyd's just overreacting. You only drooled a little."

"That makes me feel all better," he moans sarcastically.

We all pile out, and the fresh air is pure relief to my lungs. "Kai, remind me to never, ever agree to a road trip with you guys again."

"It was a good experience," he argues. "Kids these days just have no appreciation."

"Okay, Dad."

He rolls his eyes. "Whatever. You should be falling at my feet in gratitude."

Nya wraps her arms around him and gives him a sloppy kiss on the cheek. "I had a good time, Kai. Personally, I think that's the best idea you've had since deciding to go steady with Skylor."

"Same," the girl in question smiles, coming to his other side. She kisses him on his opposite cheek.

He smirks at me. "See, Lloyd?"