Chapter 8

***Things happen in this chapter...***

***(Lloyd's POV)***

"Hey, has anyone seen Nya or Harumi?" I ask. "It's been a while."

Jay looks like he's freaking out. "Nya said they'd join us in a few minutes. Are they still by the pool?" He rushes to the window.

"Calm down, buddy," Cole sighs. "I'm sure they're fine."

"They're not there anymore," Jay exclaims. "Oh, no. What if – "

I roll my eyes. "Don't even start it, Jay. I know you think Harumi is literally evil, but you're wrong. That's just how Skylor sees her. Let me call Nya and see where she's at."

I punch in her number right as the door swings open. Harumi Jade walks in, giving us all a wave.

"Hey, Rumi," I smile. "Good talk?"

Her eyes are distressed, but her tone is as chipper as ever. "The greatest. Did you save me any pizza?"

"I think so. Hey, have you seen Nya?"

Again, with that distressed look. "Um, she told me that she wasn't feeling well. I assumed she'd come in here with you guys."

"Not yet," I shrug. "I'll give her a call, though."

I finish putting in her number, but her phone goes straight to voicemail.

I sigh. "Oh, yeah. I forgot that her battery died while we were playing Monastery Mayhem earlier. Well...I guess we'll give her a few minutes before we go searching for her."

Jay looks like he's about to jump out of his skin. "Every minute we stay away is a minute she could be in trouble!"

Zane pats his shoulder. "Your anxiety at her absence is highly illogical. She's been out of our sight for less than half an hour, and Harumi was with her for part of that time."

Speaking of Rumi, she looks exhausted.

"What happened to you?" I ask.

She blinks, then smiles. "Oh, nothing. I could really use a shot of something right now."

Something in me softens, and I enfold her in my arms. "Hey, it's okay. Do you need to talk?"

She chuckles, but the sound is sad. "Lloyd, you are the sweetest guy. I'm fine, but thanks."

I hear someone cough and look behind me.

It's Nya.

I gently let go of Harumi. "Hey, Nya. What took you so long?"

She toes the floor. "I got lost."

I approach her. "Are...you good? You look kind of pale."

"Can I borrow your phone?" she asks quietly.

"Yeah, sure." I frown at her subdued tone. "What's wrong?"

"I don't feel well. I'm going to call Kai to pick me up." She wraps her towel tighter around her shoulders.

"I know you better than that," I sigh. "What's really wrong?"

"Just give me your stupid phone."

"Meeeee-owwwww." I pull it out of my pocket, only to wince when I see the lock screen photo. While my background is still of me and Nya, I changed my lock screen to Harumi and me at the pool this evening. I thought nothing of it while I was eating, but now...I feel guilty.

Nya peers down at my device, then looks up at me with huge eyes.

Ouch. Why do I feel like I've kicked my pet dog?