Chapter 7

***(Lloyd's POV)***

"Okay, guys. Especially Zane, Nya, and Jay – Harumi is probably going to be a shock for you. She's a little wild." I swallow. "But she's really sweet and fun. No judging her. Are we clear?"

"For sure!" Nya agrees from the back of the car.

Jay looks concerned. "I don't know. I mean, I've heard of this Harumi girl from Cole, and she doesn't sound at all like you're describing her. I'll try to get along with her, though."

Zane gives me a curt nod from the passenger side. "I give you my word that I shall not judge her without proper evidence."

"Thanks, guys," I sigh. "It means a lot. She really needs some normal friends."

"I really need a normal life," Jay moans, burying his face in his hands.

"What's up, Jay?" I frown.

"My life stinks. Of course, the only day my doctor can take out my tonsils is the first day of school. It's going to be so weird arriving two weeks later than everyone else. I'm going to be behind in all my classes, I won't be able to eat solid food in forever, I'm going to swell up like a chipmunk, I'm going to say something incredibly embarrassing while waking up from anesthesia, my voice isn't going to sound right for literally months – "

Nya giggles and rubs his shoulder. "Hey, it's okay. We'll be there for you – the team and I."

Jay blushes, but what's new?

"Th-thanks, Nya," he mutters.

"You're welcome. What time will you be out of surgery on Monday? We can all come and visit you."

"Really?" He gives her a hopeful look. "I should be out by four."

"That works perfectly, then. We'll be there, Jay." She smiles into his eyes.

I might barf. "Hey, Nya, how about you ride with me that day? Then we can go together."

"You forget that your mother isn't keen on you driving after last night's accident." My best friend crosses her arms. "I still don't buy that you just crashed. You're too careful with that bike for that to happen, Lloyd."

"You should take me at my word. I'm your best friend."

"And you should know by now that I can tell when you're lying."

My face flushes. "Uh, hey! We're here."

Everyone piles out at Harumi's house, garbed in swimsuits and flipflops.

I lead the way to the door and ring the bell. It dings for a moment, then I hear footsteps.

A butler appears in the doorway. "May I help you?"

I wish I had a photo of my teams' faces. They are entirely astonished at Harumi's abundance of staff.

"Yes," I answer the help. "Um, Harumi Jade is expecting us?"

Rapid footsteps pound down the hall, and I know it's her.

"Lloyd!" she squeals, launching herself at me. I catch her in a hug,, laughing as she clings to my neck.

"How are you, Rumi?"

"I am fantastic. Well, I'd be better if the Jades didn't have" – she leans close to my ear – "booze rules, but I am so completely ecstatic to meet your hot friend group!"

Nya clears her throat beside me. "Yeah, Lloyd. She's excited to meet your hot friend group. Care to introduce us?"

"Oh, um...yeah." I set Harumi down. "Rumi, this is Nya."