Chapter 7: The 57th Expedition

I do not own Attack on Titan. Attack on Titan is owned by Hajime Isayama and produced by Wit Studio and Production I.G and is published by Kodansha.

2 Days Later*

The Year Is 850*

Elizabeth Morningstar's POV*

Annie and Reiner killed those two captured Titans halting their Titan Research.

We were forced to turn our equipment in for inspection.

I was cleared but I didn't know anything about any of the others and I did congratulate the government for a thorough inspection even with he recruits.

Later on at night, we all fell in and I saw Commander Erwin on the stage.

Commander Erwin said, "Good Evening. I am Erwin Smith, Commander of the Survey Corps, also known as The Scout Regiment. The King has granted me authority over all Survey Corps activities. Today, you will choose your regiment. The reason I'm up here is to invite you to become a part of The Survey Corps. Let's cut to the chase here. The Scouts need you. We need all the warm bodies we can get. But I should warn you. In the recent Titan attack, everyone here experienced what the average excursion outside is like. I'm sure nothing else your lives came close to it. Though you're recruits, you experienced sacrifice. As well as the limits of your own skill. However...! This battle's aftermath gave humanity a new chance for victory. I refer to Eren Yeager. After selflessly risking life and limb, he has proven, beyond a doubt, his unwavering loyalty to our cause. Hope lives in him. Through his actions and all of yours, the Titan incursion was halted and we have obtained a path to understanding the true nature of Titans. I'm not at liberty to tell you much more here regarding Eren but believe me, he's proven himself as an ally who's willing to lay his life on the line. And we also know that in the basement in Shiganshina, there are answers about the Titans that even he doesn't have. We will form an expedition to find this secret. Find it. And use it to break free from the Titan's tyrannical hundred-year reign once and for all!".

I smiled thinking how clever an agenda this is to get some recruits.

Commander Erwin said, "Before we can reach the aforementioned basement in Shiganshina, to perform a full investigation we first need to take back Wall Maria. Of course, this is much easier said than done. Now that the gate of Trost has been rendered inaccessible, we have no choice but to take the long way around, from Calanath. The path that took our battalions four years to clear is completely lost and useless to us. Over the course of those four years, over 75% of the Survey Corps soldiers have lost their lives. 75% in four years. Even in the best case, sending another battalion to Wall Maria, will result in a third of every one taking part in it will die. But those who endure will be amongst the most capable soldiers alive and The Survey Corps is always looking for talented soldiers. Since many are killed everytime we go out, we suffer from a chronic shortage of personnel. I won't hide it. Those of you who join the Survey Corps will participate in an expedition beyond the wall one month from now. A supply route needs to be put in place as soon as possible. I believe the mortality rate for new recruits going on their first journey outside is 50%. But those who do get through it go on to become better than they were with a higher survival rate. Now you know the dismal state of affairs. Those of you who are still willing to put your lives on the line, remain here. Let me reiterate... the majority of the people who stay here and enter The Survey Corps will likely die. Ask yourselves if you really have it in you to sacrifice your life for humanity. That's all. Those of you who wish to join the other divisions are dismissed.".

Almost everyone started leaving.

I peaked over and saw Annie leaving as planned.

I stood in attention and when everyone was gone it was me, Mikasa, Armin, Reiner, Bertholdt, Conny, Christa, Sasha, Ymir, Jean, and about 12 other people were left.