Chapter 14: The Marley Dilemma

I do not own Attack on Titan. Attack on Titan is owned by Hajime Isayama and produced by Wit Studio and Production I.G and is published by Kodansha.

2 Days Later*

The Year Is 854*

Elizabeth Morningstar's POV*(Age: 23)

Zeke and I as well as other military officials were having a meeting.

Colt and Synthia stood behind Zeke and I.

The General said, "We spent four years embroiled in a war over the peninsula's autonomy. But then the enemy battleships and three of our main battle Titans... ended up in a disgraceful brawl. The only reason you were somehow able to sink the Allied Fleet was because The Armored Titan selflessly put himself in harm's way... Zeke. Elizabeth.".

The General picked up a paper and read, "Human intelligence has at last reached a point where it is able to crush Marley's Armored Titan into dust.".

The General set the paper on the table and said, "That's how all the other countries are reporting it, extolling the Mid-East Allied Forces. So... do you think you could call this is a victory for the great nation of Marley? Magath. How do you explain this?".

Commander Magath said, "General, sir, the time has come at last. The moment when humanity... surpasses the power of the Titans. Firstly, the majority of this war was fought through naval engagements, leaving no place for our Titan forces to intervene. If you were to simply compare our naval capabilities... The Allied Forces had advanced powerful battleships, while ours were outdated, relying on the strength of their hulls.".

One of the officials said, "...So our navy is like an unruly mob, and that's why we're in our current situation. Is that what you're saying, Magath?".

Commander Magath said, "I believe the fundamental issue is something else. It's that the power of the Titans made us complacent, and our chickens have come to roost. That's all there is to it. While we were putting all of our faith in the power of the Titans and pursuing our colonial policies... other countries who could never depend on the Titans developed weapons to oppose them. Our situation today is the result. Still, our Titans should remain unrivaled in ground engagements for the time being. But, if aircraft development continues at this pace, it is said that bombs hundred of kilograms in size, will come raining down on us someday. When that day comes, the skies will become the main stage on which wars are fought... And Titans, the Devils who rule the Earth, will only be able to look up and watch.".

The General asked, "We don't have any Titans with wings do we?".

Commander Magath got agitated and said, "General... I'm saying that we can no longer rely on...".

The General interrupted saying, "The Titans, yes. We'll soon lose our global military dominance. No... It's worse. We've already fallen behind. Once, we were Marley, a nation of heroes who defeated The Eldian Devils. But now, look at what we've become...".

Zeke and I raised our hands.

Zeke said, "I'm sorry, General, but...".

I asked, "May we be so bold as to offer our advice?".

The General looked at us and said, "Ah. The Child of Hope. And The Child of Destruction. Go ahead.".

I gestured for Zeke to go first since he and I are on the same page probably.

Zeke said, "Now more than ever, is the time for us to resume the Paradis Island Operation... And retake The Founding Titan as soon as possible.".

Commander Magath said, "Were you... listening to a word we said? Marley has no future if we continue to rely on the power of the Titans.".