Chapter 23 [FINALE]

"This may sound cheesy, but remember when I told you –" You breathe out as you look down and maintain eye contact with him, "I won't leave you?"

"I need you to close your eyes, Y/N," Merlin said. You followed his instructions, closing your eyes and grabbing his green hand tighter. With a snap of Merlin's fingers on his other hand, he ignited the falling talismans, successfully killing the witch below.

You could feel the bright light through your closed eyelids and hear the crackling sound. When you opened your eyes, the branches that were surrounded the castle walls were slowly deteriorating into a fine dust. Upon the broken platform above, "Extraordinary! No more carrots for me." You heard an old adult rejoiced. You and Merlin looked up and raised a brow as to whose voice belonged to.

"So," Merlin started, "How will we get back up there?"

Your body jolted in realization. You didn't think of how to get back up to the ledge where the others were. "I, uh, haven't thought of it." You dragged the last word, looking at anything other than his eyes.

He chuckled at your embarrassed face. You're so cute; he could kiss you right now. Wait what? He shook his head to get rid of that sudden weird thought. Suddenly, a wooden contraption went in front of your view. It was the triplets and the top half of their robot.

You were saved.

<><>

Days after saving Red and her father, you and Merlin continued training late at night until the break of dawn. The other members of F7 can see flashes of lightning and hear your exclamations throughout the training period as you try to evade his attacks.

Merlin laughed at you trying your best to maneuver away from his light projectiles.

'This isn't the training I'd hoped for after saving Red's kingdom.'

You pouted at this. He found your reaction cute. He's falling just from those simple things you do. "Can we take a break?" Your voice brought him back from his thoughts.

"Huh? Oh, yeah. We can." You nodded at his reply and found a place to rest for a while, sitting under a lone tree. It was the same tree where Red crashed, and you realized you were jealous of her and Merlin together. You shook that negative thought away. The past is the past.

You felt someone sitting next to you. You turned your head and saw Merlin with his back leaning against the giant roots of the tree. You sighed and closed your eyes, letting the cool dawn air breeze through you. In his human form, Merlin watched you relaxing with the light of the sunrise shining gently kiss onto your face.

He could feel his breath being taken away from the heavenly sight beside him. His heart couldn't take this misery anymore, ever since that thought when you saved him, he couldn't take you off his mind. He went closer to you, and he wondered if this was the right time at the right moment as he was inches away from you.

You could feel his presence, you opened your eyes, but Merlin covered them down with his hand before you could take a peek. "Don't." He said, boldly. With confidence still left in his body, his eyes fluttered down to your lips, "Can I?" He asked.

You knew this would happen, even though you couldn't see what was happening. But given with the sudden change of vibe you got and when he got way too close to you, you figured it out. You nodded, hearing your heart beating through your ears as you grew nervous.

And from that confirmation alone, he closed his eyes and leaned in until he's kissing you softly. You kissed back, and Merlin's free hand cupped your cheek, caressing it softly as he smiled through the kiss.